This double chocolate layer cake is a chocolate lover’s dream come true. With three layers of rich, moist chocolate cake, silky cream cheese and chocolate frosting this dessert is sure to satisfy any craving for something sweet. This double chocolate layer cake is a perfect dessert to serve on special occasions or holiday tables. Will surely be a hit with everyone who tries it.
How to make the Double Chocolate Layer Cake.
First, you have to prepare the three layers of cocoa brownies. The recipe for the cocoa brownies is easy and quick to prepare. For the batter, you will not even need an electric hand mixer. A whisk and a medium bowl will be enough. Whisk eggs with sugar, salt, and vanilla extract. Add oil and mix to combine. Sift the flour and cocoa powder and whisk again until well combined. Divide batter evenly on three greased pans and bake until cooked through. The cocoa powder gives an intense chocolate flavor that is rich and decadent. The oil gives moisture and keeps the cake layers moist even when the cake is refrigerated.
Prepare the chocolate cream cheese frosting and start assembling the cake. Fill the brownie cake layers with the the chocolate frosting. Spread frosting on top and edges of the cake as well and smooth the surface. Refrigerate the cake at this point to let it set.
Decorate the cake with chocolate ganache to add an extra layer of chocolate indulgence. Add some blueberries as well and dust some of them with edible gold powder to add a touch of elegance. This cake is for sure a must-try for any chocolate lover.
A great thing about this cake is that it can be made ahead of time and frozen for later use, which makes it perfect for busy bakers.
If you’re in the mood for something chocolatey, give this recipe a try, tag me on Instagram if you do and enjoy a slice of heaven!
If you love chocolate check our collection of Chocolate Desserts. Here you can find various chocolate recipes, perfect for various occasions.
Double Chocolate Layer Cake
Makes about 12-14 servings
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 3/4 cup (170g) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (90g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup (90g) all-purpose flour
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 7 oz (200g) semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup (120g) whipping cream
- 9 oz (250g) cream cheese , room temperature
- 1/3 cup (40g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup (300g) whipping cream (35% fat) , chilled
For Decoration, optional
- 3.5 oz (100g) semisweet chocolate
- 3.5 oz (100g) whipping cream
- fresh blueberries
- edible gold powder
Prepare the cocoa brownie layers.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Grease and line three 8-inch (20cm) springform pans with parchment paper.
- In a bowl whisk eggs with sugar and salt until well combined. Incorporate oil and vanilla extract.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder and whisk to fully incorporate.
- Divide the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes clean or with few moist crumbs attached.
- Let cool completely.
Prepare the chocolate cream cheese frosting.
- Place chocolate and 1/2 cup (120g) cream into a heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt over low heat. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl mix cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Mix in melted chocolate.
- Add whipping cream and mix until stiff peaks form.
Assemble the cake.
- Place the first layer of cake onto a serving platter. Spread ⅓ of the chocolate frosting.
- Add the second layer of cake and spread another ⅓ of the chocolate frosting.
- Top with the third layer of cake. Spread the remaining frosting on the top and edges of the cake. Smooth the top and edges.
- Refrigerate to set for at least 2 hours or even overnight.
- Decorate the cake with chocolate ganache, fresh blueberries and edible gold powder. Enjoy!