Flan Cake is an irresistible dessert that combines the smooth silky flan with a moist vanilla sponge cake and caramel topping.
It is called a magic cake because it it separates while baking, making the batter of the cake to come up and once flipped it becomes the bottom of the cake, flan in the middle and caramel syrup on top.
The flan is made with cream cheese and condensed milk which makes it really rich and creamy. As this cake needs time to chill and set, it is better to make it in advance, one day before serving, to get the best results. Hope you’ll give it a try and enjoy!
How to make Flan Cake
In a small saucepan, gently melt sugar over low-medium heat until it transforms into a golden caramel, stirring continuously to ensure a smooth consistency. Once ready, remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the hot caramel into the bottom of a slightly greased 9-10 inch (23-25cm) bundt pan. Swirling the pan gently allows the caramel to spread evenly, creating a luscious base. Set the pan aside.
How to prepare the vanilla sponge cake
To begin, preheat the oven to 350F (180C). In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt, setting the mixture aside until needed. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar, blending them until they form a creamy texture. Gradually incorporate the eggs, one at a time, followed by the addition of vanilla extract. Alternating between the flour mixture and milk, gradually add them to the bowl while continuing to mix. The resulting batter is then poured into the bundt pan over the layer of caramel.
How to prepare the cream cheese flan
In a separate large bowl, mix the cream cheese until it becomes smooth and creamy. Add the eggs one by one, along with vanilla extract, sweetened condensed milk, and evaporated milk. Thoroughly combine the ingredients. This cream cheese mixture is then poured over the vanilla cake batter in the bundt pan.
To ensure a moist and evenly cooked dessert, place the bundt pan within a larger pan and add boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the pan. Carefully transfer the setup to the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. If the top of the cake begins to brown too quickly, cover it with aluminum foil and continue baking.
Once the baking process is complete, remove the bundt pan from the oven and the larger pan, allowing it to cool to room temperature. For optimal flavor and texture, refrigerate the cake for a minimum of 4 hours, preferably overnight.
Prior to removing the cake from the pan, place it back into a larger pan filled with hot water to facilitate easy removal. Finally, invert the cake onto a serving plate, revealing its captivating layers, and delight in this amazing creation.
Don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram posts or stories, so I can see your amazing results. Enjoy!
For more custard desserts check our full collection of Custards and Puddings.
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 ½ cups (190g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1 ½ tsp (6g) baking powder
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter , room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
Cream Cheese Flan
- 1 package (8oz -230g) cream cheese , room temperature
- 4 eggs , room temperature
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- 1 can (14oz- 397g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12oz -350g) evaporated milk
- In a small saucepan add sugar. Melt over low-medium heat until golden, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and pour the hot caramel into the bottom of a slightly greased 9-10 inch (23-25cm) bundt pan. Swirl the pan to spread evenly. Set aside.
Prepare the vanilla cake mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- In a medium whisk the flour with baking powder and salt. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large mixing bowl add butter and sugar and mix until creamy. Incorporate eggs one at a time and add vanilla extract.
- Gradually add flour mixture alternating with milk.
- Pour the batter into the bundt pan over the caramel. Set aside.
Prepare cream cheese flan.
- In a large bowl mix cream cheese until smooth. Incorporate eggs one at a time, vanilla extract, sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk. Mix well until combined.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the vanilla cake batter into the bundt pan.
- Place the bundt pan into a larger pan, and add boiling water halfway up the sides of the pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. If the top starts to golden too fast add aluminum foil on top of the cake and continue baking.
- Remove the bundt pan from the oven and from the larger pan and let cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or better overnight.
- Before removing the cake from the pan place it again in a larger pan filled with hot water for easier removal.
- Invert the cake onto a plate and serve.