My whole family loves Nutella and I also like to use it a lot in my dessert recipes. Therefore making my own Nutella was a must. Today I am sharing with you this amazing Chocolate Hazelnut Praline Spread, a delectable fusion of rich chocolate and nutty hazelnut, perfect for spreading, dipping, or simply savoring by the spoonful.
I have already posted a version of Homemade Nutella, few years ago, which is really good, but this time I come with a new version, made with hazelnut praline. This time not only the hazelnuts are toasted, but the sugar is turned into caramel as well, which brings an amazing enriched flavor. The nuts and caramel are then turned into a thick paste before going further with the recipe. The steps are really easy and goes quite quick, the recipe requires only a few ingredients and a food processor which is a must.
As I use a great amount of hazelnuts, my version is definitely more nutty than the store-bought one. It is also less sweet, and is made without any palm oil.
How to make homemade chocolate hazelnut praline spread
Start by preheating your oven to 300F (150C). Spread the nuts evenly on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven for about 15 minutes. Allow them to cool.
In a small saucepan, heat sugar and water over medium-high heat until it transforms into a golden brown caramel. Pour this over the toasted hazelnuts and let it cool completely. Once cooled, break the praline into smaller pieces.
Using a food processor, grind the praline until it forms a thick paste, which should take about 10 minutes. Then, add in the coconut oil, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt. Continue processing until the mixture reaches your desired level of smoothness. Introduce the melted chocolate and blend it in. The mixture will thicken as it cools.
For storage, keep it in a cool, dry place, like your pantry. There’s no need to refrigerate it.
So I highly recommend you try this decadent chocolate hazelnut praline spread which I am sure you will love as much as we did. If you do, don’t forget to share the photos with me on Instagram. Enjoy!
Homemade Nutella - Chocolate Hazelnut Praline Spread
- 7 oz (200g) hazelnuts
- 2/3 cup (135g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30ml) water
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 7 oz (200g) milk chocolate
- 3 tbsp (45g) coconut oil , melted
- 2 tbsp (16g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 300F (150C).
- Place the nuts on a baking sheet and let them toast for 15 minutes.
- Let them cool.
- In a small saucepan heat sugar and water over medium high heat until it turns golden brown. Pour the caramel over toasted hazelnuts and let cool completely. Break the praline into smaller pieces.
- Grind in a food processor until it gets into a thick paste, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut oil, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt and continue processing until the mixture is as smooth as you like. Add the melted chocolate and mix to combine. It will thicken as it cools.
- Store in a cool dry place, in your pantry, no need to refrigerate.