Hummingbird Cake is a delicious layered cake, very popular in the Southern United States consisting of three amazingly moist cake layers frosted with a delightful cream cheese frosting. The cake layers are really moist and flavorful coming from adding in their consistency good amounts of crushed pineapples, mashed ripe bananas and toasted walnuts/pecans, which makes it quite a tropical cake. It is said this cake has its origins in Jamaica, and is called Hummingbird cake as these beautiful Jamaican birds would feel attracted by the sweetness of the cake.
The layers are made using only oil instead of butter, for extra moisture, which makes the cake really fluffy without needing any kind of extra soaking with syrup. For the frosting I chose a white chocolate and cream cheese frosting instead of the classic buttercream, because I wanted to add more flavor and make it less sweet, without changing the quality of the cake but actually trying to improve it in my opinion. The nuts used in decoration and in the cake batter must be toasted, this is not optional, to enjoy all the goodness to a high level. Hope you will try this out, I am sure you will love it.
- 2 ⅔ cups (330g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (8g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (6g) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 2 tsp (6g) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1g) nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup (150g) light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
- 1 cup (230g) vegetable/canola oil
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas about 1 cup (250g) , mashed
- 8 oz (230g) canned pineapple , undrained
- 1 cup (100g) walnuts/pecans , toasted and chopped
White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 5.5 oz (150g) white chocolate , small pieces
- 1/4 cup (60g) whipping cream
- 10 oz (300g) cream cheese , room temperature
- 1/3 cup (40g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (360g) whipping cream (35% fat) , chilled
White Chocolate Decoration
- 1 oz (30g) rice noodles
- 2.5 oz (75g) white chocolate
Prepare cake layers.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Grease and line with parchment paper three 8 inch (20 cm) round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add eggs with both sugar and mix for a few minutes until creamy and lighter in color. Add oil and mix until well combined. Gradually mix in flour mixture. Using a spatula incorporate the mashed bananas, crushed pineapple and toasted walnuts/pecans.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let pans cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the pan and let them cool completely.
Prepare white chocolate cream cheese frosting.
- Place white chocolate and ¼ cup cream into a heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt over low heat. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl mix cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Mix in melted chocolate and set aside.
- In another bowl mix whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the white chocolate and cream cheese mixture.
Assemble the cake.
- Cut the top of the cakes to create flat surfaces. Add a bit of frosting onto a serving platter and place one layer of cake on it. Spread up to a third of the frosting. Add the second layer of cake and spread up to a third of the frosting.
- Add the last layer of cake and cover the top and sides with a thin coat for crumb coating. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Cover the top and sides with remaining frosting. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile prepare white chocolate decoration.
- Place white chocolate into a heatproof bowl and melt over bain-marie. Add noodles and coat with melted chocolate.
- Arrange the coated noodles into a small bowl that was greased with oil and lined with plastic wrap. Add a smaller bowl wrapped in plastic wrap on top. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to set.
- Place the chocolate decoration on top of the cake, fill with chopped nuts and sprinkles. Decorate the bottom of the cake with chopped nuts if desired. Enjoy!