Torta Caprese is a traditional cake of the beautiful island of Capri from Italy. It is a dense, moist flourless chocolate cake enriched with ground almonds that bring a great flavor and texture. Also as no flour is used makes this dessert a perfect choice for those in search of gluten-free desserts.
It is said that this cake is the result of a mistake as in the early twentieth century the chef, Carmine Di Fiore, forgot to add flour to the batter. The result was simply amazing, a soft and moist cake that was simply divine. Ever since this Torta Caprese is one of the most appreciated cakes and can be found in various pastry shops all over the Capri and along the Amalfi coast.
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Coffee Mousse
Chocolate Almond Pear Cake
Chocolate Lava Cake
Torta Caprese - Flourless Chocolate Almond Cake
- 7 oz (200g) peeled almonds
- 7 oz (200g) semisweet chocolate
- 2/3 cup (150g) butter
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar , divided
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- Grease and line with parchment paper a 8 or 9 inch (20-23 cm) springform pan (with a removable base). Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Place the peeled almonds into a food processor and process until finely ground but with still some remaining chunky pieces for a crunch texture.
- Melt chocolate and butter over a bain-marie until smooth. Let it cool slightly.
- Meanwhile separate egg whites from yolks.
- Mix yolks with ½ cup (100g) sugar and salt until thick and pale yellow colored.
- Mix in cooled chocolate and add ground almonds.
- Whip egg whites until foamy using a mixer. Gradually add ¼ cup (50g) sugar and whip until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped whites into chocolate mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with few crumbs attached.
- Let it cool completely in the pan over a cooling rack.
- When cooled invert onto a serving platter and dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve if desired with whipped cream and fresh berries.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
This cake looks lovely. But before I proceed with baking I have a question, aince there’s eggs and no milk/buttermilk. Is this cake gonna be dry?
No…it's moist and dense..just make sure you don't overbake.
Wow really nice and awesome recipe with full of nutrients. As a Nutritionist I appreciate this recipe with all healthy ingredients. Many Thanks for posting this recipe, I will must try to home.
Hi! May i asking about the egg and time. First, does the egg need to be at room temperature? Or it doesn’t matter. Second, in step five, how long will it take to be thick and pale yellow colored? High speed?
Thank you very much.
May I ask that, can I bake at today and eat the cake the next day ?
Should I store in the fridge ?
Very good! Will try soon.
Hi I’m a chef/baker retired.
I was testing and comparing 4 flourless almond/nut recipes and yours was my favorite.
I chose it because of ingredients, instructions, grams (you saved me time from calculating), baking temperature. I made it the first time as written. Result was good and the cake didn’t last (cake was chilled before I served it).
Now, I have since baked this cake and made it with all ingredients as listed plus Truviablend white sugar, 1/2 tsp salt (added to the sugar, mixed it then added to the chocolate/butter that was melted+ almond meal)+ 1/2 tsp of de caffeinated coffee granules (no need to dilute in water). The chocolate I used is Ghirardelli Premium Baking Bar-Unsweetened.
The chocolate butter mix has 1/2 tsp salt, 6 oz Truvia blend (because my chocolate bar is unsweetened).
Baked at 320 degrees for 30 minutes.
I doubled the recipe then divided it into 3-6” pan, 2” pan.
After baking the cake is 1 1/4” tall.
Used 1 cup of Truvia blend white sugar and 1 Tablespoon cornstarch for dusting.
Both diabetics and non diabetic taster loved it.
Thank you for your recipe.
PS: don’t be alarmed if you see some butter in the pan.
Let cake cool and all the butter will be absorbed by the cake. It did this 7 minutes after I cooled the cake on the cooling rack.
Hi, thanks for this awesome recipe, can I replace the sugar with coconut sugar?
I don’t have a scale to weigh out the chocolate and nuts. Can you provide a volume measurement?
the cake turned out awesome, just a question though is there anyway I could make it without the chocolate?
the cake turned out fabulous, but is there a way of making it without chocolate.
I had bookmarked this recipe a few years ago in view of making it at some point and I think now would be a good time to try it! I do have a question please: I have store bought almond meal/Flour- do I use the same amount i.e. 200 g?
Sorry for the late reply.. yes. you were supposed to use same amount.. hope you tried it out
Thank you for your awesome recipes. I have recently found your channel. This recipe seems so delicious. I wonder if it goes well with some Nutella whipped cream. Does Nutella whipped cream goes well with this cake?