Torta Caprese is an Italian cake that is loved by many, not only because of its delicious taste but also because of its unique story. This flourless chocolate cake has a dense and moist texture that is enriched with the flavors of ground almonds, making it an irresistible dessert for anyone with a sweet tooth. The use of ground almonds instead of flour also makes it an ideal dessert option for those who are on a gluten-free diet.
The origin story of Torta Caprese is quite fascinating. It is said that the cake was created by Chef Carmine Di Fiore in the early twentieth century when he forgot to add flour to the batter. Despite the mistake, the end result was a masterpiece that became an instant hit. The soft and moist texture of the cake, combined with its chocolatey and nutty flavors, made it an instant classic that continues to be loved by people around the world.
Today, Torta Caprese is one of the most popular cakes in Italy, and it can be found in various pastry shops throughout the country. In particular, it is a staple in the beautiful island of Capri, where it originated, and along the stunning Amalfi coast. The cake’s popularity has also spread beyond Italy, and it is now enjoyed by people from all corners of the world.
Torta Caprese is not just a cake but also a symbol of creativity and ingenuity. It is a dessert that celebrates the beauty of simple ingredients and the power of mistakes, and it is sure to leave a lasting impression on anyone who tries it. So, the next time you’re in Italy or at a pastry shop that serves Torta Caprese, be sure to give it a try and indulge in its rich and decadent flavors.
How to make Torta Caprese – Flourless Chocolate Almond Cake
To begin, grease and line an 8 or 9 inch (20-23 cm) springform pan with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) to ensure proper baking.
Next, process the almonds in a food processor until they are finely ground, but still have some chunky pieces for added texture. Melt the chocolate and butter together over a bain-marie until smooth, and allow it to cool slightly.
Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Mix the yolks with ½ cup (100g) sugar and salt until they are thick and pale yellow in color. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and ground almonds to this mixture.
Whip the egg whites until they are foamy using a mixer in a separate bowl. Gradually add ¼ cup (50g) sugar while whipping until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Let it cool completely in the pan over a cooling rack.
Invert the cake onto a serving platter and dust it with powdered sugar. Serve with whipped cream and fresh berries, if desired.
Hope you will try this easy recipe for Torta Caprese. If you do, don’t forget to share the photos with me on Instagram. Enjoy!
Other similar recipes you may like to try
If you like pears and chocolate you should definitely try this flourless Almond Chocolate Pear Cake. It is very flavorful due to the pears and almonds. It is also very moist and rich which makes it simply irresistible.
This Flourless Chocolate Cake with Coffee Mousse is a delightful dessert perfect for any occasion. The flourless chocolate cake at the base is rich, chocolaty, dense and fudgy. The coffee mousse on top is full of aroma, soft and airy. Chocolate and coffee have always made such a great pair and in this form it is absolutely heavenly.
This Moelleux au Chocolat (Chocolate Lava Cake) is one of the best chocolate desserts you can ever prepare . It is smooth, delicate and delicious with its’ crusty top while inside is still runny, making it totally irresistible.
Torta Caprese - Flourless Chocolate Almond Cake
- 7 oz (200g) peeled almonds
- 7 oz (200g) semisweet chocolate
- 2/3 cup (150g) butter
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar , divided
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- Grease and line with parchment paper a 8 or 9 inch (20-23 cm) springform pan (with a removable base). Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Place the peeled almonds into a food processor and process until finely ground but with still some remaining chunky pieces for a crunch texture.
- Melt chocolate and butter over a bain-marie until smooth. Let it cool slightly.
- Meanwhile separate egg whites from yolks.
- Mix yolks with ½ cup (100g) sugar and salt until thick and pale yellow colored.
- Mix in cooled chocolate and add ground almonds.
- Whip egg whites until foamy using a mixer. Gradually add ¼ cup (50g) sugar and whip until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped whites into chocolate mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with few crumbs attached.
- Let it cool completely in the pan over a cooling rack.
- When cooled invert onto a serving platter and dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve if desired with whipped cream and fresh berries.