This Pecan Upside Down Cake is an easy and delightful fall dessert, perfect for Thanksgiving dinner table. The cake consists of a soft cake at the bottom topped with a crunchy layer of caramelized pecans. Serve this cake with vanilla ice cream for an unforgettable and decadent experience.
How to make Pecan Upside Down Cake.
The recipe for this cake is very quick, takes no more than 15 minutes to prepare. First, you need to prepare the caramel pecan topping. For this, melt butter with brown sugar, honey, salt and cinnamon and stir in pecans. You can chop the pecans if desired, I preferred to let them as they were.
Pour the pecan mixture onto the bottom of a greased pan and set aside to prepare the cake batter.
For the cake batter, I chose an easy recipe I usually use for upside-down cakes. The cake has sour cream and oil for extra moisture but you can also use yogurt or buttermilk for the sour cream and replace oil with butter for a more buttery flavor. I also added some ground pecans to the cake for more flavor and texture and to make it even nuttier.
The cake is baked until cooked through and the pecans get caramelized and toasted. Let the cake cool in the pan for a few minutes before inverting it onto a serving plate. Serve as is or with a good dollop of ice cream on top. It is simply amazing.
If you like pecan desserts you may also like this No-bake Chocolate Pecan Pie with Meringue Topping which looks very impressive and very delicious. This Chocolate Pecan Pie is a great twist to the classic pecan pie and chocolate lovers will be thrilled. This Caramel Pecan Pumpkin Roll is also an impressive dessert that will surely delight your guests.
Hope you will try this Pecan Upside Down Cake and let me know how it turns for you. Enjoy!
Pecan Upside Down Cake
Makes about 8-10 servings
For the Pecan Topping
- 1 ½ cup (150g) pecans
- 6 tbsp (80g) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (70g) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30g) honey
- 1/2 tsp (2g) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (110g) oil, room temperature
- 3 tbsp (45g) sour cream
- 2 tsp (8g) baking powder
- 1 cup (125g) flour
- 1/4 cup (25g) ground pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Grease an 8-inch (20cm) round pan with butter and line it with parchment paper.
Prepare the pecan topping.
- Place the butter, brown sugar, honey, salt and cinnamon into a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir and cook until the butter is completely melted. Add the pecans and stir them in.
- Pour the pecan mixture into the prepared pan.
Prepare cake batter.
- Mix eggs with sugar, salt, and vanilla extract in a large bowl until thick and creamy. Add vegetable oil and sour cream and mix to combine. With the mixer on low, incorporate flour, ground pecans and baking powder. Don’t overmix.
- Gently pour the batter over the pecan mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cover the cake with aluminum foil if browns too fast and continue baking.
- Let it cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto a serving platter.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!