- Oatmeal Lace Cookie Cups with Whipped Chocolate Ganache and Strawberry Jam
- Vegetable Egg Rolls - Fried or Baked
- Chocolate Terrine with Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies with Chocolate Lace Cups
- Basque Burnt Cheesecake
- Chocolate Mocha Fault Line Cake with Chocolate Sail
- Crispy Onion Rings
- Croque en Bouche or Croquembouche
Summer Berry Meringue Roll
Watch the video for this recipe:
This summer berry meringue roll is one of the best summer desserts ever. A soft, light and airy meringue filled with a creamy mascarpone frosting and fresh berries, a perfect balance between sweet and tart. As a chocolate dessert lover this dessert surpassed my expectations as I fall in love with it from the very first bite.
Making meringue roll might seem intimidating but I must say it’s even easier and faster than making pavlova. Use any fresh berries or seasonal fruits and create each time a different and surprising dessert that everybody will love. Enjoy!
- Makes about 8 servings
- For meringue
- 4 egg whites (about 130g), room temperature
- 1/4 tsp tsp (1g) salt
- 1 tsp (4g) cornflour
- 1 tsp (5ml) vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (135g) caster sugar
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Mascarpone Filling
- 8 oz (230g) mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbsp (16g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (200ml) whipping cream, chilled
- 1 oz (30g) semisweet chocolate, very small pieces
- Fresh berries of your choice
- For decorating
- fresh berries
- fresh mint leaves
- powdered sugar
- Prepare meringue. Preheat oven to 320F (160C). Grease and line a 9x13 (23x33cm) pan with parchment paper. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large bowl add whites and salt and star whipping until foamy. Add vinegar, vanilla extract and cornstarch.
- Gradually add sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form for about 5 minutes more.
- Spread meringue evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes until slightly brown.
- Dust powdered sugar on a parchment paper.
- Cool the meringue for 2 minutes and invert onto the dusted parchment paper.
- Gently peel off the lining paper. Roll the meringue and let it cool completely.
- Meanwhile prepare mascarpone filling. In a large bowl mix mascarpone with powdered sugar and vanilla. Incorporate chocolate and mix to combine.
- In another bowl whip cream until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into mascarpone mixture.
- Unroll the meringue and spread most of the mascarpone filling reserving about 5-6 oz (140-170g) for later use. Leave about a ½ inch (1cm) border around the edge of the meringue.
- Spread some fresh berries of your choice and press them slightly.
- Gently roll the meringue into a log.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours before serving.
- Before serving dust the roll with powdered sugar. Use the remaining mascarpone cream to pipe on top of the log. Decorate with fresh berries and enjoy!