This summer berry meringue roll is one of the best summer desserts ever. A soft, light and airy meringue filled with a creamy mascarpone frosting and fresh berries, a perfect balance between sweet and tart. As a chocolate dessert lover this dessert surpassed my expectations as I fall in love with it from the very first bite.
Making meringue roll might seem intimidating but I must say it’s even easier and faster than making pavlova. Use any fresh berries or seasonal fruits and create each time a different and surprising dessert that everybody will love. Hope you will try this amazing Summer Berry Meringue Roll and enjoy!
Apple Meringue Cake
Summer Berry Meringue Roll
- 4 egg whites (about 130g) , room temperature
- 1/4 tsp tsp (1g) salt
- 1 tsp (4g) cornflour
- 1 tsp (5ml) vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (135g) caster sugar
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- 8 oz (230g) mascarpone cheese , room temperature
- 2 tbsp (16g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (200ml) whipping cream , chilled
- 1 oz (30g) semisweet chocolate , very small pieces
- Fresh berries of your choice
- fresh berries
- fresh mint leaves
- powdered sugar
- Prepare meringue. Preheat oven to 320F (160C). Grease and line a 9×13 (23x33cm) pan with parchment paper. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large bowl add whites and salt and star whipping until foamy. Add vinegar, vanilla extract and cornstarch.
- Gradually add sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form for about 5 minutes more.
- Spread meringue evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes until slightly brown.
- Dust powdered sugar on a parchment paper.
- Cool the meringue for 2 minutes and invert onto the dusted parchment paper.
- Gently peel off the lining paper. Roll the meringue and let it cool completely.
- Meanwhile prepare mascarpone filling. In a large bowl mix mascarpone with powdered sugar and vanilla. Incorporate chocolate and mix to combine.
- In another bowl whip cream until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into mascarpone mixture.
- Unroll the meringue and spread most of the mascarpone filling reserving about 5-6 oz (140-170g) for later use. Leave about a ½ inch (1cm) border around the edge of the meringue.
- Spread some fresh berries of your choice and press them slightly.
- Gently roll the meringue into a log.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours before serving.
- Before serving dust the roll with powdered sugar. Use the remaining mascarpone cream to pipe on top of the log. Decorate with fresh berries and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
What kind of berries (red ones as shown) .. I live in Nova Scotia and have not seen them before. The recipe looks so good and I will attempt it. Is a cookie sheet doable for this?
Will this last ok overnight in the fridge before serving?
It’s very tasty roll. Thanks for recipe.
Summer Berry Meringue roll seems fancy, but it’s one of the easiest desserts you can make for a summertime treat.
Hi Ella! Can i use cream cheese instead of mascarpone cheese? Mascarpone cheese is rare in the Philippines and very expensive, too.
sure.. will be as good 🙂 let me know if you try it out.. send me photos and tag me on instagram so I can see it too 🙂
It’s very delicious roll.Thanks for recipe
Hope you tried this out.. is one of the best
I made it today and it’s amazing. Probably this is the only recipe I saw with much less sugar than many others out there. But the result is great and still very sweet. I highly recommend it. Thank you so much for the recipe! *****