My daughters love turnip soup and I am so glad they do. As it is delicious and healthy, full of vegetables and therefore rich in vitamins. This soup is a meatless soup like this Cabbage Soup I’ve posted a few time ago. Both soups are very light and comforting, a perfect dish especially during the cold days.
Whenever I have the chance I prepare them this tasty, delicious soup as it is a comforting dish for cold days. Turnips are ideal for soups as they bring a special flavor. Give this turnip soup a try, you and you’re family will be delighted.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 or 2 turnips , peeled and grated (Kohlrabi-german turnip or turnip works as well)
- 1 onion , diced
- 1 carrot , grated
- 1 cup celerey root , grated
- 1 red pepper , diced
- 1 small red chili pepper , optional
- 1 ½ liter vegetable stock or chicken stock or water
- 1 or 2 tbsp rice , washed and drained
- 200 g sour cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley , chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat and cook onion for about 5 minutes until soft. Stir in carrot and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in celery root and red pepper and cook 1 minute.
- Add turnips, vegetable stock or water, chili pepper if used and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until vegetables are tender. Stir in rice.
- In a large bowl mix sour cream with egg yolk, add 2 ladles of hot soup, stir well and add to the pot. Let boil for 1 minute then add parsley, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Serve with fresh bread or croutons.