I started to eat lentils only few years ago and I really love its flavor and most of all its benefits. Since then, I have tried to include lentils in our menu as often as possible. Yellow, red, green.. all are great. For this lentil cream soup, the red ones are the best choice, as they tend to boil easier and faster and they get creamier.
This easy recipe for Lentil Cream Soup makes a comforting dish, especially for cold days, either for lunch or dinner. It is creamy and full of flavor, great to be served hot, with some cheese toasts, cream, chili flakes and some lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!
Lentil Cream Soup
- 1 cup (200g) red lentils
- 2 tbsp (28g) olive oil
- 1 medium onion (about 150g), chopped
- 1 medium size carrot (90g), diced
- 1 red pepper (120g), diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 parsley root (90g) diced, optional
- 1/2 cup (100g) celery root, peeled and diced
- 4-5 cups (1 - 1.25l) homemade vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp (1g) cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2g) paprika
- 1 large tomato (200g) peeled and chopped
- 1 red or green chili pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- fresh or dry mint, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- sea salt
- lemon to serve
- 1 baguette
- 1 cup (100g) cheddar cheese, grated
- Garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a stock pot heat oil over medium-low heat. Cook onion, garlic,carrot, celery, parsley, red pepper and saute for about 5 minutes.Add paprika, cumin, tomato and lentils and stir.
- Add the vegetable soup and bring to boil. Reduce heat, add fresh basil and mint, chili pepper and bay leaf, cover, and simmer until lentils are very tender to bite.
- Meanwhile prepare the cheese toasts. Cut the baguette into slices and place the slices on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Drizzle or spray each slice with olive oil. Spread grated cheese on top. Season with garlic powder and freshly ground black pepper. Bake at 400F (200C) in the oven for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Puree soup with a stick blender or food processor until smooth and strain it through a sieve. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour the hot soup into warmed bowls and garnish with dried mint, cumin seeds, red chilli pepper slices and cream or yogurt. Serve with lemon wedges and toasted bread or bread croutons.