If you like comforting cream soups I highly recommend trying this creamy Sweet Potato Soup especially if you like sweet potatoes. The soup is creamy, hearty, comforting, and delicious. This Creamy Sweet Potato Soup is a flavorful dish, both filling and satisfying, perfect for cozy cold days but a great treat all year round as well.
How to make Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
First, heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat, and cook the onion for about 5 minutes until softened. Add carrot, celery, and garlic, and saute for another 5 minutes. Add tomato, vegetable stock, and chili pepper and bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Stir in the sweet potatoes and spices and cook until all vegetables are tender. Puree soup using a blender until smooth and strain it through a sieve if desired. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve it in warmed bowls and garnish with cream. Serve with toasted bread or bread croutons, crispy bacon, or with a fresh salad.
This soup is a great option for vegetarians, but it can also be made with chicken broth for added flavor. You can also make it in advance and reheat it for a quick and easy meal. This soup is a great way to get in some extra vitamins and minerals, as sweet potatoes are an excellent source of Vitamin A and potassium.
This creamy sweet potato soup is perfect for cold winter evenings or a comforting light lunch. It is easy to make and you can serve it as a starter or a main course. You can also customize this recipe to your liking by adding additional spices or herbs for extra flavor.
Hope you will try it out, tag me on Instagram if you do and enjoy it as much as we did.
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3/4 cup celery root, chopped
- 1 red chili pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 4 cups (1 liter) vegetable stock or water
- 3 large sweet potatoes (yams), peeled
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp fresh lovage leaves, chopped
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat, and cook onion for about 5 minutes until soft. Add carrot, celery and garlic and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add tomato, vegetable stock and chili pepper and bring to boil then lower to a simmer.
- Stir in the sweet potatoes and spices and cook until all vegetables are tender.
- Puree soup in blender until smooth and strain it through a sieve. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour the hot soup into warmed bowls and garnish with sour cream or yogurt. Serve with toasted bread or bread croutons.