I have discovered Italian biscotti recently and I simply love them. Biscotti can be made in so many ways, with nuts or fruits or even chocolate. These homemade crunchy Dried Fruit Biscotti are absolutely wonderful alongside the morning hot tea or coffee.
Biscotti recipe is very interesting. The batter of the biscotti is somehow similar to a cake batter, but thicker in consistency. The batter is shaped into two logs and baked. After they cool, they are cut into slices and baked again until they dry out.
These dried fruit biscotti are made with dried cranberries, plums, apricots and raisins that bring an amazing taste. Can be also made for holiday tables or as homemade gifts. Kids love them too, which makes another reason to keep making them.
Dried Fruit Biscotti
- 1 stick (110g) butter , room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp (6g) baking powder
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1 cup mixed dried fruits (cranberries, plums, apricots)
- 1 ¼ cup (160g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) nuts , optional
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl beat butter and sugar until creamy, then add eggs, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Stir well.
- Add baking powder and flour and mix until well blended. Stir in dry fruits.
- Pour the dough into one long log or 2 smaller logs into the prepared baking tray. The logs should be about 2 inches (5cm) wide. The dough is pretty sticky so you can wet your spatula or use flour to be able to give them the right shape.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, remove from the oven and let cool for about 30 minutes. Cut into 1/2 inch diagonal slices and place them on the baking tray. Bake for another 15-17 minutes until golden brown.