These Vegetable Balls are delicious and healthy, a good way to have children eat vegetables. They are also great as appetizer or served for lunch or dinner alongside your favorite side dish.
These veggie balls go very well over rice, pasta dishes or mashed potatoes or even in breakfast sandwiches too.
The recipe is easy and yo can adapt it to your own tastes, you can try other variations too for instance you can add some mashed chickpeas in combination with zucchinis to add some protein too. I am sure you will definitely enjoy these veggie balls.
These vegetable balls are great for parties too, I like to use these on skewers with some cheese and cherry tomatoes as they look wonderful.
- 2 potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1/2 zucchini, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped dil
- 30 g cheese, grated
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 big tomatoes, puree
- 1 small red chili pepper, optional
- 1 tsp paprika
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F).
- Prepare the vegetable balls. Combine all the ingredients together, season to taste then form into small sized balls and place them on a greased baking tray. Bake for 30 minutes and use grill function for the last few minutes until they are a little golden brown on the outside.
- Prepare the sauce. Heat the oil in a sauce pan over high heat. Cook onion and garlic, for about 5 minutes until golden. Stir in red pepper and paprika. Add tomatoes, chili pepper, bay leaves, basil leaves and vegetable stock. Cover and let it simmer,stirring now and then until all vegetables are tender and liquid has evaporated. Add salt, sugar and pepper if needed.
- Serve them as appetizers or as part of the main dish.