What not to love when pairing walnuts, caramel and chocolate. These walnut caramel mini tarts are rich, sweet and full of caramel filling and walnut flavor.
It’s a recipe I adapted after one of my mother’s recipes she use to make for holidays or for special occasions. I have always loved this caramel walnut feeling and wanted to create a special dessert with it. Instead of making one big cake as she does, I had the idea of making mini tarts filled with caramel and they are simply amazing.
Walnut Caramel Mini Tarts
- 120 g butter
- 200 g flour
- 2 tbsp ground walnuts
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp sugar for caramel
- 120 g toasted walnuts cut into small chunks
- 120 g butter
- 3 egg yolks mixed with 5 tbsp sugar
- 50 g dark chocolate
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- Prepare the crust. Mix flour with salt, sugar and ground walnuts. Incorporate butter to the flour, using your hands or using a pastry processor, until crumbs are formed. Add the egg and incorporate until the dough is homogeneous. Knead the dough and form a ball from it. Wrap it with plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 (350F). Roll out the dough into a rectangular shape and cut small circles to fit the mini tart molds. Press dough into tart molds without stretching it. Punch the bottoms with a fork. Bake mini tart shells for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden.
- Prepare the caramel filling. Mix egg yolks with sugar until thick, creamy and pale yellow colored.
- In a medium sauce pan heat the sugar until turns golden brown. Immediately add walnuts and butter and mix well. After butter has melted remove from heat and incorporate the egg yolks mixture. Return to heat, stir continuously and simmer until thick. Remove from heat, continue stirring for few minutes then fill the mini tart shells.
- To prepare chocolate glaze melt the chocolate over a bain-marie until smooth. Stir in butter and 1 tbsp heavy cream until well blended. Use immediately, pour over the caramel filling. Enjoy!