Main Dish RecipesDessert RecipesBreakfast RecipesAppetizer RecipesBread RecipesSoup RecipesSalad RecipesDrink RecipesHealthy RecipesThanksgiving RecipesChristmas Recipes
Lentil Cream Soup
Hot, creamy and flavorful soup, just perfect for a cold day. An excellent combination if served with lemon wedges, bread toast and mint.
- Makes about 6 servings
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium size carrot, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 parsley root, diced
- 1/4 small celery root, peeled and diced
- 4 cups homemade vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 red chili pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- dry mint, to taste
- freshly- ground black pepper, to taste
- sea salt
- lemon to serve
- In a stock pot heat oil over medium-low heat. Cook onion, garlic,carrot, celery, parsley, red pepper and saute for about 5 minutes.Add paprika, cumin, dried mint, tomato and lentils and stir.
- Add the vegetable soup and bring to boil. Reduce heat, add basil, chili pepper and bay leaf, cover, and simmer until lentils are very tender to bite.
- Puree soup with a stick blender or food processor until smooth and strain it through a sieve. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour the hot soup into warmed bowls and garnish with dried mint, cumin seeds, red chilli pepper slices and sour cream or yogurt. Serve with lemon wedges and toasted bread or bread croutons.
Nutrition facts 1 Serving - Calories:182, Fat:5.1 g, Saturated Fat:0.7 g, Unsaturated Fat:0.0 g, Carbohydrates:25.5 g, Sugar:3.3 g, Fiber:11.3 g, Protein:9.3 g, Cholesterol:0 mg, Calories from Fat 46, Sodium 32mg, Vitamin A 51%, Calcium 5%, Vitamin C 53%, Iron 16%, Nutrition Grade A, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.