This Zuppa Toscana is a comforting, hearty, spicy and flavorful soup, ideal for chilly days. Packed with savory goodness, this dish features a delicious combination of spicy or mild Italian sausage, tender potatoes, crisp bacon, and vibrant kale, all swimming in a rich and creamy broth.
The sausage brings a zesty kick, while the potatoes add a comforting texture, creating a perfect balance of flavors. The bacon adds a smoky crunch, enhancing the overall taste of the soup.
Zuppa Toscana, although named after the Tuscan region of Italy, is more like an American creation found in the famous Olive Garden restaurant chain, inspired by Italian culinary traditions. So, while this Zuppa Toscana may not be a traditional dish from the hills of Tuscany, it has certainly become a cherished part of the American-Italian culinary landscape.
Whether you’re a soup enthusiast or just craving a comforting bowl of warmth, Zuppa Toscana is a great choice. The easy preparation and bold flavors make it a go-to choice for a satisfying meal any day of the week.
How to make Zuppa Toscana
Begin by cooking the bacon in your soup pot until it’s not yet crispy and browned. Toss in the Italian sausage, letting both meats cook for 10-15 minutes until they turn crispy and brown. As they sizzle away, crumble the meat in the pot. Before moving forward, drain some of the excess oils.
Next up, throw in the onion and garlic, allowing them to cook with the meats for an additional 5 minutes. Stir occasionally for a flavorful mix. Now, introduce the potatoes, red chili pepper, basil, and oregano, giving it all a quick stir.
Pour in the vegetable stock, adding salt and pepper to the mix. Stir it up and let it all come to a boil. Once bubbling, lower the heat, cover the pot, and let it simmer for 10 minutes until the potatoes reach that perfect tenderness.
Stir in the cream and kale. Let it simmer for another 3-5 minutes until the kale is tender and the flavors meld. Now, your soup is ready to be enjoyed! Serve it up with Parmesan and cheese toasts, and relish in the delightful warmth and flavors.
Hope you will treat yourself to a bowl of Zuppa Toscana, and let the simple joy of good food envelop you in a cozy embrace. If you do, make sure to share the photos with me on Instagram. Would love to see how it turns out for you. Enjoy!
Other soup recipes you may like to try
Warm your soul with this comforting Tortellini Soup, a perfect blend of savory broth, tender pasta, and wholesome ingredients.
Savor the rich goodness of Lentil Cream Soup, a velvety blend of lentils and savory flavors. It is a comforting soup perfect to nourish your day.
This Minestrone Soup is a a hearty and comforting medley of fresh vegetables, beans, and pasta in a flavorful broth.
- 1 pound (450g) Italian Salsiccia sausage , mild or spicy, casings removed
- 4 oz (125g) diced bacon
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 6 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 pounds (1kg) potatoes , peeled and cut into 1-inch (2.5cm) cubes
- 1 red chili pepper , optional
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 6 ½ (1 ½ liter) vegetable stock
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1g) black pepper
- 1 cup (240g) cream
- 3 cups (60g) fresh kale , chopped, hard stems removed
- In your soup pot cook the bacon for a few minutes.
- Before it gets crispy and browned add the Italian sausage. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until both sausage and bacon are crispy and browned. Crumble the meat while cooking. Drain some of the excess oils if necessary, before going further.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring from time to time.
- Add the potatoes, red chili pepper, basil and oregano and give a quick stir.
- Add the vegetable stock, salt and pepper and stir.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the cream and kale. Simmer for another 3-5 minutes until kale is tender.
- Serve the soup with Parmesan shavings and cheese toast. Enjoy!