I love finding new ideas for breakfast time like these Apple French Toast Roll-Ups, which are simply wonderful for apple season. Thin slices of bread, filled with delicious cream cheese and apple cinnamon mixture are rolled and dipped in egg and milk mixture and then cooked until golden brown. And that is not all, once cooked, they are rolled in a cinnamon sugar mixture for extra flavor and texture. It is such an incredible way of having apples for breakfast, and kids love it.
French Toast Roll-Ups can be made with various fillings, so just let your imagination find the perfect filling for your breakfast or snack. You can also consider making savory rolls like using cheese, ham, bacon or even veggies as filling. I am telling you, the options are endless.
How to make Apple French Toast Roll-Ups
Begin by placing the apple pieces, cinnamon, and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat for approximately 3 minutes, until the apples start to soften. Transfer the cooked apples into a bowl and set aside to cool until ready to use.
In a separate bowl, combine sugar with cinnamon and set aside. In another bowl, beat the eggs with milk and set aside.
Next, remove the crust from each slice of bread and flatten them using a rolling pin. Spread cream cheese evenly on each slice of bread, then add about 1-2 teaspoons of the cooked apples onto each slice.
Roll up each slice of bread, enclosing the apple filling inside.
Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and melt about 1 tablespoon of butter. Dip each roll in the egg mixture and cook on each side until golden brown, cooking 3-4 rolls at a time.
After cooking, roll each roll into the sugar-cinnamon mixture until coated.
Serve the apple-filled rolls warm, and if desired, dip them in maple syrup for an extra touch of sweetness.
Hope you will give these Apple French Toast Roll-Ups a try and don’t forget to tag me in your Instagram posts or stories, so I can see your amazing results. Enjoy!
Apple French Toast Roll-Ups
- 2 medium apples , peeled
- 1/2 tsp (1.5g) cinnamon
- 2 tsp (10ml) lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp (45ml) milk
- 10-12 toast bread slices
- 4 oz (120g) cream cheese , room temperature
- 1/3 cup (67g) sugar
- 1 tsp (3g) ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp (28g) butter , for cooking
- Place apple pieces, cinnamon and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Cook over low-heat for about 3 minutes, until apples start to soften. Transfer apples into a bowl and set aside to cool until ready to use.
- In a bowl combine sugar with cinnamon and set aside. In another bowl beat eggs with milk and set aside.
- Remove crust from each slice of bread and flatten using a rolling pin.
- Spread cream cheese evenly on each slice of bread.
- Add about 1-2 tsp of apples and roll up each slice.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and melt about 1 tbsp of butter.
- Dip each roll in egg mixture and cook on each side until golden brown. Cook 3-4 roll at a time. Clean the pan slightly with a paper towel and repeat until all rolls are cooked.
- Roll into the sugar cinnamon mixture.
- Serve warm and dip in maple syrup if desired.