This Apple Upside Down Cake is one of my family favorite fall recipes, it is easy to prepare and I I always make it during the apple season.
Autumn with its’ rich harvest of fruits and vegetables is by far my favorite season . I really enjoy going to the local market nearby every morning and buy fresh and appetizing products. I always end up buying a little from everything as all look soo good. Apples are in season now and it happens that I’ve just got some delicious and succulent ones that are just perfect for this upside down cake.
This apple-flavored caramel cake is that kind of cake that after is done baking is entirely served in a matter of minutes. Everybody loves it, probably it’s the best apple cake I’ve ever made so far. The only “problem” is that you can hardly stop from eating only one slice.
I finally made this apple upside down cake with the intention of making a video and a photo session. It was funny as this was probably the only time this cake stood on the table more than usual and it couldn’t be devoured as soon as it came out of the oven. We could hardly wait to finish all the working so we can finally serve it.
Not only it tastes delicious but looks soo good that no other decoration is needed and this makes it perfect for any occasion or family gatherings.
Apple Upside Down Cake
- 4-5 apples
- 1/4 cup (50g) butter + 1 tbsp
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar , divided
- 1 tsp (3g) ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup (75g) butter , room temperature
- 5 tbsp (75g) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp (45g) sour cream
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 2 tsp (8g) baking powder
- 11 tbsp (150g) flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Butter a 10-inch(26 cm) round cake pan.
- Peel apples and sprinkle lemon juice over them. Cut them into wedges,remove the core and slice.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan. Add 5 tbsp of sugar and cook until sugar dissolves and mixture turns golden brown. Pour the mixture in the prepared pan and arrange the apple slices. Sprinkle 2 tbsp of sugar and add 1 tbsp of butter cut in small pieces over the apples. Cook in the oven until you prepare the batter for the cake.
- While the apples are in the oven prepare the cake batter. Separate egg whites from the egg yolks. Whisk together the flour and baking powder in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until well mixed. Beat in the egg yolks, sour cream, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Stir in flour mixture and mix well.
- Whip egg whites until very stiff and firm. Fold them into the butter mixture.
- Remove the apples from the oven and sprinkle cinnamon on top. Pour the batter over the apples and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it stand for about 5 minutes.Then run a knife around the edges of the cake to loosen it from the sides of the pan and invert the cake onto a cake plate.
- Can be served as it is or with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.