No wonder why potatoes are so loved all over the world. There are endless ways to prepare them and are simply delicious. These baked potato cheese balls are crispy, with gooey melted cheese in the middle, easy to prepare, healthy, and addictive.
They can also be made from leftover mashed potatoes but I preferred boiling the potatoes with their skin-on, especially for this recipe. This is a step you can do ahead of time, even a day in advance. Peel only before going further with the recipe.
Kids love these baked potato cheese balls and they make a great snack or appetizer. Serve them while still warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
How to make baked potato cheese balls
For creating this tasty dish start by heating your oven to 400F (200C). Continue by mashing up some potatoes in a big bowl – you can use a potato masher or grate them with a small-holed grater. Add in green onions, garlic powder, chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Mix everything together.
In a separate bowl, blend panko bread crumbs with smoked paprika and oil until the oil is soaked up. Now, get your hands a bit dusty with flour. Take a spoonful of the potato mix, flatten it, and put a cube of cheese in the center. Wrap it up into a ball. Roll it in flour, dip it in egg, and then roll it in the panko mixture. Press it down if needed. Repeat these steps for the rest of the potato mix.
Put the balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake them for 15-18 minutes until they’re golden and crispy. Be careful not to bake them too long, or the cheese might ooze out. Let them cool for a bit before serving.
Hope you will try them out and enjoy these delicious cheesy potato balls! If you do, make sure to share the photos with me on Instagram. Would love to see how these turned out for you.
Baked Potato Cheese Balls
- 1 pound (450g) potatoes , boiled with their skin on and chilled
- 2 spring onions , chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2g) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup (70g) cheddar cheese , cut in 1/2 inch (1cm) cubes
- 1 egg , beaten
Bread crumbs mixture
- 1 cup (60g) panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp (2g) smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp (15g) oil
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- In a large bowl mash the potatoes using a potato masher or grate using the small holes of the grater.
- Add green onion, garlic powder, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- In another bowl combine panko bread crumbs with smoked paprika and oil, until oil is absorbed.
- Dust your hands with flour, take about a spoon of potato mixture, flatten and add a cheese cube in the center. Wrap and form into a ball. Roll in flour, dip in egg and then roll in panko mixture, pressing if necessary to stick well. Repeat with the remaining potato mixture.
- Place the ball into a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden and crisp. Don’t overbake or the cheese will start to seep out.
- Cool for a few minutes before serving.