This Banana and Coconut Bread is my new sweet bread favorite recipe. I’ve been hearing about banana bread for a few years now, I saw many different recipes of banana bread on food blogs, TV shows or cookbooks but never felt really tempted to finally give it a try. Never understood what is so special about this banana bread that everybody is so crazy about but I kept saying to myself that one day I will give it a try.
Last year I was visiting my brother in United States and spontaneously we decided to go together in Hawaii. There was the first time I actually tasted a banana bread that really made me understand why everybody love it. That banana bread was absolutely amazing, such a delicious combination of flavors. When we returned home I’ve searched for recipes that might tend to the Hawaii Banana Bread we served there. I’ve found several recipes and tried some but after all I’ve made this final recipe of banana and coconut bread that is pretty close to the one we served on Hawaii.
It is important to use really ripe bananas, the ones that have black spots on their exterior. This recipe is very easy to prepare, and it results a moist bread that combine so good the taste of bananas walnuts and coconut flakes. Instead of walnuts you can use macadamia nuts or almonds, that’s a matter of preference. All you have to do next is to enjoy it along a warm cup of coffee.
Banana and Coconut Bread
- 1 cup (125g) flour
- 1/4 tsp (2g) baking soda
- 2 tsp (8g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (3g) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (2g) salt
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick (113g) butter , room temperature
- 3 or 4 ripe bananas (about 1 1/4 cup (300g) puree)
- 1/3 cup (70g) sour cream
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (75g) walnuts , chopped
- 1 cup (70g) unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- In a medium bowl combine flour, coconut flakes, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until creamy. Add in the eggs and mix well. Add sour cream and vanilla extract and mix until well incorporated.
- Mix in the mashed bananas. With mixer on low speed incorporate the flour mixture. Stir in walnuts.
- Lightly grease a 13 x 4 inch (35 X 12 cm) loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. (9 X 5 inch – 23X 13 cm loaf pan would be good too.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle chopped walnuts on top. Bake for about 50-60 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, and then invert onto a wire rack.