Ever since my girls have started school I have been making these Breakfast Muffins several times already. I have tried to come up with a refined sugar free recipe and I am really pleased with how these breakfast muffins turned out. The muffins are soft and fluffy, sweetened with banana and honey and packed with berries and oats.
The recipe is very easy and very quick to prepare, made using just one large bowl as ingredients are added one at a time. You can definitely make variations to these breakfast muffins, add different fruits or replace fruits with some bittersweet chocolate or nuts. Hope you will try these out and let me know how these refined sugar free muffins turned out for you. Enjoy!
Breakfast Muffins - Refined Sugar Free Muffins
- 1 medium banana (110g)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp (45g) honey
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (110g) coconut or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (120g) buttermilk
- lemon zest from a lemon , optional
- 1 ⅔ cup (200g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 2 tsp (8g) baking powder
- 1/4 cup (20g) rolled oats
- 7 oz (200g) fresh or frozen mixed berries (blueberries and raspberries)
- rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 375F (190C). Line a 12 cavity muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl add banana and puree with a fork.
- Add eggs, honey, lemon zest if used and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Incorporate oil and buttermilk and mix to combine.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Add rolled oats and incorporate into egg mixture. Don’t overmix.
- Fold the mixed berries (I used raspberries and blueberries) into the batter. (if using frozen berries, don’t thaw and toss them first with 1 tbsp of flour).
- Divide the batter equally into muffin cups.
- Sprinkle rolled oats on top of each muffin.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool muffins on a wire rack. Enjoy!