I am so glad to share with you an amazing Norwegian cake, called Kvæfjordkake – or Verdens Beste ( World’s Best Cake) that is absolutely delightful. It was recommended to me by one of our followers and I am so glad he did as I fell in love with this cake from the very first bite.
This cake consists of two layers of soft vanilla sponge cake topped with crispy baked meringue and toasted almonds filled with a smooth and creamy vanilla custard and whipped cream. No wonder why this cake was named Verdens Beste meaning the World’s Best Cake as with its great flavor and texture it is truly a delightful experience.
The recipe is quite easy to prepare, and can be easily made in advance. The best part is that it doesn’t need special decoration as is it already very beautiful due to the crispy meringue and toasted flaked almonds on top. I really hope you will try this Norwegian cake – Verdens Beste and enjoy!
Kvæfjordkake - Norwegian Verdens Beste - World's Best Cake
Vanilla Sponge Cake
- 6 tbsp (80g) butter , room temperature
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp (45ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (80g) flour
- 1 tsp (4g) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1 tsp (5ml) lemon juice
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (40g) almond slices
Vanilla Pastry Cream
- 2 cups (480ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) cornstarch
- 1 tbsp (10g) flour
- 3 egg yolks
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup (300g) whipping cream
- 1/2 tbsp (5g) gelatin powder
- 2 tbsp (30ml) cold water
- powdered sugar
- First prepare the vanilla pastry cream so it has time to cool down before preparing the filling.
- Place milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile whisk the egg yolks with sugar and salt until well combined. Add flour and cornstarch and mix to combine.
- Gradually add milk into the egg mixture and return to heat. Cook, stirring constantly until it boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- Pour the cream into a clean bowl, cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface of the pastry cream to prevent forming a skin on the surface. Let cool to room temperature.
- Toast the almond flakes in a pan stirring constantly. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C) and grease the bottom and sides of two 8 inch (20cm) pans and line with parchment paper.
- Prepare the cake layers with meringue on top. Separate 3 egg whites from yolks. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter with sugar until creamy. Incorporate egg yolks one at a time. Add milk and vanilla extract.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and gently incorporate into the butter mixture.
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared pans and set aside until the meringue is prepared.
- In a large bowl whip egg whites with salt until foamy and add lemon juice. Gradually incorporate sugar and continue mixing until stiff peaks form.
- Divide meringue on top of the cake batter and spread evenly. Sprinkle on top with toasted almonds.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Let cool completely.
- Prepare the vanilla filling. Dissolve gelatin in cold water and let it soak for 5-10 minutes. Dissolve gelatin over low heat, pour over vanilla pastry cream and mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl mix whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Gently incorporate into the pastry cream mixture.
- Assemble the cake. Turn one cake onto a serving platter so the meringue side is facing downwards. Place a cake ring around the cake and line with an acetate sheet.
- Pour the filling over the cake and smooth the top. Add the second layer of cake with the meringue facing up.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or even overnight.
- Before serving dust with powdered sugar.