I have to admit I fell in love with Norwegian Verdens Beste Cake and I simply couldn’t take my mind off how wonderful it would be if made in a chocolate version. I am so glad I did it, as this Chocolate Norwegian Cake (Chocolate Verdens Beste) is absolutely delightful and looks really impressive.
I really love the contrast between layers and the taste is beyond description. The texture of the cake is truly an amazing experience for your taste buds with the crispy meringue and toasted almonds in combination with chocolate sponge cake and the silky chocolate filling.
The recipe is as easy to prepare as the vanilla version, requires no decoration as it is simply beautiful by itself. If you love chocolate you should definitely try this amazing cake. Enjoy!
Chocolate Eclair Cake
Norwegian Verdens Beste
Chocolate Norwegian Cake - Chocolate Verdens Beste
Chocolate Cake Layers
- 6 tbsp (80g) butter , room temperature
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp (45ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (40g) cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup (40g) flour
- 1 tsp (4g) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1 tsp (5ml) lemon juice
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (40g) almond flakes
Chocolate Pastry Cream
- 2 cups (480ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) cornstarch
- 1 tbsp (10g) cocoa powder
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla or rum extract
- 4 oz (120g) semisweet chocolate
For Chocolate Filling
- 1 ½ cup (360g) whipping cream , chilled
- 1/2 tbsp (5g) gelatin powder
- 2 tbsp (30ml) cold water
- powdered sugar
- First prepare the chocolate pastry cream so it has time to cool down before preparing the filling.
- Place milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile whisk the egg yolks with sugar and salt until well combined. Add cocoa powder and cornstarch and mix to combine.
- Gradually add milk into the egg mixture and return to heat. Cook, stirring constantly until it boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat, add chocolate and mix until chocolate is melted. Add vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Pour the cream into a clean bowl, cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface of the pastry cream to prevent forming a skin on the surface. Let cool to room temperature.
- Toast the almonds flakes in a pan stirring constantly. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C) and grease the bottom and sides of two 8 inch (20cm) pans and line with parchment paper.
- Prepare the cake layers with meringue on top. Separate 3 egg whites from yolks. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter with sugar until creamy. Incorporate egg yolks one at a time. Add milk and vanilla extract.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt and gently incorporate into the butter mixture.
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared pans and set aside until the meringue is prepared.
- In a large bowl whip egg whites with salt until foamy and add lemon juice. Gradually incorporate sugar and continue mixing until stiff peaks form.
- Divide meringue on top of the cake batter and spread evenly. Sprinkle on top with toasted almonds.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Let cool completely.
- Prepare the chocolate filling. Dissolve gelatin in cold water and let it soak for 5-10 minutes. Dissolve gelatin over low heat, pour over chocolate pastry cream and mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl mix whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Gently incorporate into the pastry cream mixture.
- Assemble the cake. Turn one cake onto a serving platter so the meringue side is facing downwards. Place a cake ring around the cake and line with an acetate sheet.
- Pour the filling over the cake and smooth the top. Add the second layer of cake with the meringue facing up.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or even overnight.
- Before serving dust with powdered sugar.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
Amazing thank you Ella for wonderful cake ??