I must confess, my obsession with Norwegian Verdens Beste Cake reached new heights when I began to daydream about a chocolate version. I couldn’t shake the idea from my mind and finally decided to give it a try. Let me tell you, the result was incredible! This Chocolate Norwegian Cake, also known as Chocolate Verdens Beste, is an absolute delight that is sure to impress.
One of the things I love most about this cake is the striking contrast between its layers. Each bite offers a tantalizing combination of textures and flavors, with the crispy meringue and toasted almonds perfectly complementing the richness of the chocolate sponge cake and silky chocolate filling. It’s truly an experience for your taste buds that’s difficult to put into words.
Despite its impressive appearance, this cake is surprisingly easy to prepare. In fact, it’s just as simple as the vanilla version – Norwegian Verdens Beste! And with no need for elaborate decoration, its natural beauty speaks for itself.
How to make Chocolate Norwegian Cake
To make this decadent chocolate meringue cake, start by preparing the chocolate pastry cream ahead of time and letting it cool to room temperature. Toast some almond flakes and set them aside for later. Grease two 8-inch (20cm) pans and line with parchment paper.
Prepare the cake layers
For the cake layers, cream butter and sugar together, add in egg yolks, milk, vanilla extract, and sifted dry ingredients. Divide the batter evenly into the pans and set aside. For the meringue topping, whip egg whites, salt, and lemon juice until soft peaks form. Gradually incorporate sugar and whip to stiff peaks. Spread on top of the cake batter and sprinkle with the toasted almonds. Bake until golden brown, then let cool completely.
Prepare the chocolate custard filling
Next, prepare the chocolate filling by dissolving gelatin in cold water and letting it soak. Dissolve the gelatin over low heat, pour over the chocolate pastry cream, and mix to combine. In a separate bowl, whip some whipping cream until stiff peaks form, and gently incorporate it into the pastry cream mixture.
Assemble the Chocolate Norwegian Cake
To assemble the cake, turn one cake layer onto a serving platter, with the meringue side facing downwards. Place a cake ring around the cake and line with an acetate sheet. Pour the filling over the cake and smooth the top. Add the second layer of cake with the meringue facing up. Cover and refrigerate for several hours, or overnight. Before serving, dust the cake with powdered sugar.
If you’re a chocolate lover like me, you simply must try this amazing cake. Trust me, it’s worth every bite! So why not treat yourself to this delicious indulgence and enjoy the luxurious flavors of the Chocolate Norwegian Cake today? If you do, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram, would love to see how this turns out for you.
Other chocolate custard desserts you may like to try
This Chocolate Magic Custard Cake is a decadent dessert that has a rich chocolate flavor and a unique texture. It’s made by pouring a thin batter into a baking dish and then baking it until it forms three distinct layers: a cake-like layer on top, a custard-like layer in the middle, and a dense, fudgy layer on the bottom. This Chocolate Eclair Cake is a delicious dessert that combines two layers of chocolate choux pastry that are filled with a generous amount of creamy and silky chocolate cream. Another custard dessert we love is this Chocolate Cheesecake Flan, an elegant dessert that combines chocolate and caramel in a flan form. Check our full collection of Custard Desserts for more inspiration.
Chocolate Norwegian Cake - Chocolate Verdens Beste
Chocolate Cake Layers
- 6 tbsp (80g) butter , room temperature
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp (45ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (40g) cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup (40g) flour
- 1 tsp (4g) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1 tsp (5ml) lemon juice
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (40g) almond flakes
Chocolate Pastry Cream
- 2 cups (480ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) cornstarch
- 1 tbsp (10g) cocoa powder
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla or rum extract
- 4 oz (120g) semisweet chocolate
For Chocolate Filling
- 1 ½ cup (360g) whipping cream , chilled
- 1/2 tbsp (5g) gelatin powder
- 2 tbsp (30ml) cold water
- powdered sugar
First prepare the chocolate pastry cream.
- It needs time to cool down before preparing the filling.
- Place milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile whisk the egg yolks with sugar and salt until well combined. Add cocoa powder and cornstarch and mix to combine.
- Gradually add milk to the egg mixture and return to heat. Cook, stirring constantly until it boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat, add chocolate and mix until chocolate is melted. Add vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Pour the cream into a clean bowl, cover it with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface of the pastry cream to prevent forming skin on the surface. Let cool to room temperature.
- Toast the almonds flakes in a pan stirring constantly. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C) and grease the bottom and sides of two 8 inch (20cm) pans and line with parchment paper.
Prepare the cake layers with meringue on top.
- Separate 3 egg whites from yolks. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter with sugar until creamy. Incorporate egg yolks one at a time. Add milk and vanilla extract.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt and gently incorporate into the butter mixture.
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared pans and set aside until the meringue is prepared.
- In a large bowl whip egg whites with salt until foamy and add lemon juice. Gradually incorporate sugar and continue mixing until stiff peaks form.
- Divide meringue on top of the cake batter and spread evenly. Sprinkle on top with toasted almonds.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Let cool completely.
Prepare the chocolate filling.
- Dissolve gelatin in cold water and let it soak for 5-10 minutes. Dissolve gelatin over low heat, pour over the chocolate pastry cream, and mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl mix whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Gently incorporate into the pastry cream mixture.
Assemble the cake.
- Turn one cake onto a serving platter so the meringue side is facing downwards. Place a cake ring around the cake and line it with an acetate sheet.
- Pour the filling over the cake and smooth the top. Add the second layer of cake with the meringue facing up.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or even overnight.
- Before serving dust with powdered sugar.