This cabbage soup reminds me a lot of childhood. My mother used to make it a lot, and with time, it turned to be one of my favorite soup recipes.
How to make Cabbage Soup
In a stock pot heat oil over medium-low heat. Cook onion, carrots, celery, parsley, red pepper and saute for about 5 minutes. Add paprika and tomato puree and stir to combine. Add the vegetable stock and cabbage and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add chili pepper, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender to bite. Add dill, thyme, more salt and pepper if still needed, simmer for 2 more minutes and remove from heat. Serve with sour cream and freshly baked crusty bread for a delightful meal.
The soup is comforting and healthy, spicy and flavorful, the combination of cabbage with dill and thyme is simply perfect. This soup is without meat but you can also consider adding some smoked meat if desired.
This cabbage soup is often considered a “diet” soup as it is low in calories and high in fiber, making it a great dish for those who are trying to loose weight. It is a perfect dish for cold weather and a budget-friendly meal. Hope you will try it out, tag me on Instagram if you do and enjoy.
- 2 pounds (800-1000 g) cabbage , finely sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion , sliced
- 2 carrots , sliced
- 1 parsley root , diced
- 1 cup celery root , diced
- 1 red pepper , diced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tomatoes , puree
- 2 quarts (2 liters) vegetable stock or chicken stock or water
- 1 chili pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh dill , chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme , chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a stock pot heat oil over medium-low heat. Cook onion, carrots, celery, parsley, red pepper and saute for about 5 minutes. Add paprika, tomato puree and stir.
- Add the vegetable stock and cabbage and bring to boil. Reduce heat, add chili pepper,cover and simmer until vegetables are tender to bite.
- Add dill, thyme salt and pepper if still needed, simmer 2 more minutes and remove from heat.
- Serve with sour cream and freshly baked bread.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
Cabbage, dill and thyme; very interesting and very good for digestion.
Love the combination of flavors in this soup!
Amazing soup! I cooked it today and ate almost the whole pot 🙂
Love cabbage soup! I used to have a recipe for it but I guess I must have lost it and out of sight out of mind. I never thought much about until I saw your recipe and then remembered I really liked this. Now I am going to be making this one soon! I have you added to my favs!
stunning presentations–in all offerings. a delight for me. and i thank my good luck in finding you…betty