This cabbage soup reminds me a lot of childhood. My mother used to make it a lot, and with time, it turned to be one of my favorite soup recipes.
The soup is comforting and healthy, spicy and flavorful, the combination of cabbage with dill and thyme is simply perfect. This soup is made without meat, and it is said that cabbage soup is a great dish for those who are trying to loose weight. So, hope you will try it out.
- 2 pounds (800-1000 g) cabbage , finely sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion , sliced
- 2 carrots , sliced
- 1 parsley root , diced
- 1 cup celery root , diced
- 1 red pepper , diced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tomatoes , puree
- 2 quarts (2 liters) vegetable stock or chicken stock or water
- 1 chili pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh dill , chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme , chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a stock pot heat oil over medium-low heat. Cook onion, carrots, celery, parsley, red pepper and saute for about 5 minutes. Add paprika, tomato puree and stir.
- Add the vegetable stock and cabbage and bring to boil. Reduce heat, add chili pepper,cover and simmer until vegetables are tender to bite.
- Add dill, thyme salt and pepper if still needed, simmer 2 more minutes and remove from heat.
- Serve with sour cream and freshly baked bread.