Walnut cabbage rolls are a rich, delicious dish, perfect for cold autumn or winter days. These Walnut cabbage rolls consist of a rice mixture with onions, walnuts, carrots and a lot of fresh dill wrapped in cabbage leaves. Everything is cooked in tomato juice and the smell while baking is wonderful. Serve these rolls warm with sour cream on top for a delicious comforting dish.
They are usually made with grounded meat but they are absolutely amazing with walnuts instead of meat. That was the reason that made me prepare them for the first time in my kitchen and will definitely make them again. Everybody loved them, even my two picky daughters.
In my family, cabbage rolls are always served at holiday tables or at most of our family gatherings. They can be made in advance and freeze well as well too until ready to serve.
I really hope I convinced you to give these cabbage rolls a try as I am sure you won’t regret, not even a bit.
Walnut Cabbage Rolls
- 2 small cabbages
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions , diced
- 1 carrot , diced
- 1 medium red pepper , diced
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- 1 cup rice
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh dill
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1 small tomato , sliced
- 2 tomatoes , puree
- 500-600 ml water
- Remove core from cabbages. Separate the leaves that can be removed and put them into boiling salted water. Cover and cook until tender. Drain well. Add the rest of the cabbages in the boiled water. and cook until tender. Separate into leaves. Remove the thick veins from cabbage leaves for easier rolling and set aside. Chop any leftover cabbage and set aside.
- In a frying pan heat oil over medium high heat. Cook onion for about 5 minutes, until soft. Add the carrot and red pepper and saute for another few minutes then stir in paprika. Remove from heat. Stir in rice, ground walnuts, fresh dill, salt and pepper. When cooled enough stir in the egg.
- Place half of the leftover chopped cabbage into a pot and put fresh chopped dill and thyme leaves on top of them. Start making the rolls. Place 1/2 to 1 tbsp of mixture on the center of each leaf. Fold in sides. Starting at an unfolded edge, roll up leaf to completely enclose filling. Add rolls over the chopped cabbage and continue until all mixture is done. Put the rest of the chopped cabbage on top of the rolls.
- Mix the pureed tomatoes with water an pour all over the surface of the rolls. Put slices of tomato on top. Cover the pot and cook at medium-low temperature until they start to boil. Then reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 1 hour.
- Serve warm with sour cream on top.