Pulled Pork is an American classic recipe, where pork meat usually pork shoulder or pork shoulder butt is slow cooked for several hours to low temperature, resulting in a delicious tender and juicy meat that can be easily shredded with simply some forks. You can easily prepare pulled pork at home using your oven or slow cooker. This recipe for Oven Cooked Pulled Pork have become one of our favorite recipes for whenever we have guests around.
The meat is rubbed with a mix of flavorful spices, seared on the stovetop and then the cooking continues in the oven or slow cooker. For more moisture some off the reserved cooking juices and BBQ sauce is mixed into the shredded meat.
This shredded Oven Cooked Pulled Pork should be served warm in sandwiches or can be used for various dishes like enchiladas, different casserole dishes, pasta, tortilla wraps and so on.
Roasted Turkey Breast
Oven Cooked Pulled Pork
- 4 pounds (1.8kg) boneless pork shoulder or pork butt
- 2 tbsp (30ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (30g) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15g) salt
- 2 tsp (6g) smoked paprika
- 1 tsp (3g) mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp (2g) ground black pepper
- 1 tsp (2g) ground cumin
For adding to pot
- 1 large onion , sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 cup (240g) vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup (56ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (56g) tomato paste
- Fresh thyme
To moisten pulled pork
- 1/3 cup (80g) BBQ sauce
- 1 pound (500g) red and green cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 onion
- 1/4 cup (56g) mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (56g) sour cream
- 1 tbsp (15ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15g) mustard
- 1 tbsp (15g) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15ml) apple cider vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 300F (150C).
- In a small bowl combine the seasoning ingredients: brown sugar, salt, smoked paprika, mustard, cumin and pepper. Rub the seasoning over all sides of the pork.
- Heat a cast iron pot or skillet over medium heat, add oil and sear the pork for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the pork from the pot. Add vinegar, onion, garlic and tomato paste into the pot and place the pork on top. Pour the vegetable stock, add fresh thyme and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Cover the pot and continue cooking in the oven for 3-4 hours.
- Meanwhile prepare the coleslaw. Cut the green and red cabbage thinly. Cut the carrots into thin strips and onion into thin slices.
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise with sour cream, lemon juice, mustard, apple cider, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over the cabbage mixture and Toss to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Coleslaw it is best if served the same day but it keeps well refrigerated for few days.
- Remove the pork from the pot and place on a board. Reserve some of the cooking juices.
- Shred the pork using two forks and discard any pieces of fat.
- In a small bowl combine BBQ sauce with about ½ cup (120ml) cooking juices and pour over the pulled pork, and toss to coat. Keep warm until ready to serve or reheat if needed.
- Prepare pulled pork sandwiches. For the bread I like to use the homemade ones. Dinner rolls recipe here. It is best to have the bread made in advance.
- Cut the bread rolls in half and top with pulled pork, add some more BBQ sauce, coleslaw and pickles if used, add the top of the bread and enjoy.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
hi dear Ella
thank you for your recipe it look so delicious
could you pls. advise if we can replace pork meat with another meat kind like turkey or lamb it will give us same results
Hi Ella sorry for pushing you but I need the substitute meat kind I/O Pork as I want to make this recipe in my husband birth day as well as I want your to suggest cake for him less sugar and less calories if possible
thanks in advance 🙂
You can replace the pork meat with turkey and for the cake you can try Raw Vegan Neapolitan Cake, Healthy No-Bake Brownies or No- Bake Ombre Berry Cheesecake.
My family just loves this recipe and each time I make it for someone new, they rave about it! Thank you, this one is a winner!!!!
Love your YouTube channel and recipes.