If you like tuna you should try this tuna and red onion pizza. This homemade pizza has a thin crust, topped with cheese, tuna, red onion, black olives and fresh basil leaves. The combination is wonderful and makes a great twist to the classic pizza recipes.
Tuna and Red Onion Pizza
Crust- makes 2 thin pizza bases
- 3 cups bread flour
- 25 g fresh yeast (2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast)
- 1 cup (240ml) warm water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 8 tbsp oil
Pizza Topping - for 2 pizza
- 1 (190g) can tuna chuncks
- 1 small red onion , finely sliced
- 20 black olives , seeded
- 7 oz (200 g) mozzarella , round slices
- dry oregano
- dry basil
- fresh basil leaves
Tomato Sauce (Homemade Ketchup)
- 3,4 fresh tomatoes , peeled (or 400 g can Italian plum tomatoes- pomodori pelati))
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove , peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, mix flour with salt and sugar. Dissolve the fresh yeast in warm water and add to the flour mixture. Add oil and mix everything togheter. Using your hands, knead until smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl. Cover it and let it sit for about 1 hour at room temperature, to let the dough rise until doubled in size.
- In the meanwhile prepare the tomato sauce. In a medium sauce pan heat oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic, cook few seconds then stir in paprika and pureed tomatoes. Add sugar, basil, oregano, bay leaf salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, lower heat and cover. Cook for about 10 minutes ot until it has the right consistency for spreading on your pizza. When done, remove from heat and let cool slightly before using on your pizza.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Punch the dough down, knead and split in 2 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball, then roll out into a circle about 12 inches (30 cm) in diameter. Place it in greased pizza pan and punch some holes in the dough with a fork.
- Spread tomato sauce over the dough and sprinkle with oregano and basil. Spread half of the tuna chunks, red onion slices and olives over dough and place half of mozzarella slices on top.
- Place in the preheated oven, switch for heat coming from down and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese has melted and edges of crust are golden brown.
- You can garnish with fresh red onion slices and basil leaves before serving.