This recipe for Chocolate Caramel Bars is for all those who love chocolate and soft caramel over a shortbread crust.. similar to a Twix Bar but let’s say “healthier” .. as it is homemade and no other preservative or additives are used. I saw that similar recipes are actually using caramel candies that are melted, but I wanted to make this recipe from scratch and that include the caramel as well.
It is very simple and the result is as expected, delicious, soft and chewy caramel that can be perfectly cut into small serving bars. Don’t know why many are so scared of making caramel at home.. it’s quick and easy and I didn’t even use a candy thermometer for this recipe. And I’ve done this caramel for so many times and it always gets perfect.
For the shortbread crust I added some ground almonds for a bit of texture and it is wonderful. These chocolate caramel bars are definitely one of the best candy bars I’ve ever made. I was so pleased with the final result. It is a great recipe for whenever you need to prepare something for a gathering, it is easy to transport and as holidays are approaching it may be a wonderful homemade gift idea.
Everybody love this combination, and what is not to love about. Layers of goodness one upon another.. amazing chewy caramel over the crusty cookie layer and topped with a chocolate layer.. I am telling you guys…they can be pretty addictive… so make sure you are sharing this Chocolate Caramel Bars with somebody otherwise you will end up eating them all by yourself.
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
Walnut Caramel Mini Tarts
Chocolate Salted Caramel Tart
Chocolate Caramel Bars
- 1 ¾ sticks (200 g) butter
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 ¾ sticks (200 g) butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar , for mixing with egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate and milk chocolate , a combination or only one type
- 1 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Grease with butter a 9 X 13 inches baking dish. Line with parchment paper.
- Prepare the crust. In a large bowl combine flour, ground almonds, sugar and salt. Add the butter and using a pastry blender or simply a fork cut in the butter until crumbles are formed.
- Press the mixture onto the bottom of the prepared baking dish and bake for about 15-20 minutes until lightly golden brown. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- Prepare the caramel. Mix egg yolks with sugar and vanilla extract until thick, creamy and pale yellow colored.
- In a medium sauce pan heat the sugar and water until turns golden brown. Immediately add butter and salt and mix well. After butter has melted remove from heat and incorporate the egg yolks mixture. Return to heat, stir continuously and simmer until thick.
- Remove from heat, continue stirring for few seconds and pour the caramel over the prepared crust. Using a rubber spatula spread it evenly over the crust. Set aside while you prepare the chocolate.
- Add chocolate and butter in a bowl and melt over bain-marie. When melted pour over the caramel and spread it evenly. Set aside to chill, refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 7. Cut into large or smaller bars and serve. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
These look amazing, Ella!! I think these look much better than Twix! More chocolate, more caramel and shortbread! A winning combination!
This dessert looks amazing Ella and it does remind me of Twix bar 🙂 Thick and chocolatey, not too difficult to make, will try it soon !
Twix has always been one of my favorite candies, so I would love these bars! They look absolutely delicious!
Oh I wish I have these bars right now for my afternoon treat! I need some good pick me up before kids come home… 😀 I love Twix and these bars sound so good!
Oh god these caramel bars look delicious. Craving one right now!
oooooh these look SO tasty! Chocolate and caramel are always mmmmmmmmmmm yummmmmmm
I am a sucker for caramel and shortbread and chocolate! I would LOVE these!
Ella, these look fabulous and decadent. I want a big cold glass of milk, and a half a dozen of these! Pinned!
So, uh, how much butter should there be in the caramel part? Because there’s no mention of butter in the ingredient list for the caramel… and should the butter be with or without salt? I’m assuming without salt, but since I’m asking anyway I decided to make sure. Also, I’m never sure when reading recipes, but do you use the oven-fan while baking the bars?
Sincerely yours, Ellen.
Thank you Ellen for letting me know about the butter.. don't know how I forgot to add it in the ingredient list. I used unsalted butter so I can control the content of salt I need for the caramel, but if you only have salted you can probably use that as well. In this recipe only the crust is baked. When I bake I preheat my oven to conventional heating function.. heat comes from top and bottom as well. Hope that helps.
Hi, can I make the shortbread crust using margarine instead of butter?
yes, it should work well … Just use the same amount of margarine as for butter..
Are the almonds required for the crust? Or is there a substitute I can use?
No, almonds are not necessary, I used them because I love their taste and texture. Just replace almonds with flour.
Can I use digestive biscuits instead of shortbread?
Sure.. will be good too:)
yes.. exactly.. hope you will try them out 🙂 let me know