This Chocolate Salted Caramel Tart is absolutely amazing. It consists of a buttery almond crust, gooey salted caramel, and bittersweet chocolate ganache, all garnished with salted crystals. It is chocolatey, rich and buttery and I fell in love with it from the first bite. Love the salt crystals as they don’t melt immediately and let your taste buds experience the sweet, the salty, and the bitter at the same time.
Having made this tart for the second time, I must say that it is a truly fantastic dessert that I find completely irresistible. Not only is it perfect for any special occasion, but I am confident that everyone who tries it will be more than delighted.
How to make this Chocolate Salted Caramel Tart
To prepare the sweet pastry, start by mixing flour, ground almonds, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Then, incorporate the butter into the mixture until crumbs are formed. Next, add the egg and vanilla extract and mix them in. Add water and incorporate it into the dough. Wrap it with plastic, shape it into a disc, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
Once the dough has chilled, on a floured surface or between two sheets of parchment paper, roll it out to a circle about 1 1/2 inches (4cm) larger than your tart pan. Carefully lift the rolled dough and place it on a greased 9-inch (23cm) tart pan. Remove the edges and refrigerate for 30 minutes before baking.
Before baking, prick the dough with a fork, line it with parchment paper, and fill it with dry beans, rice, or pie weights. Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated 350 F (180C) oven. Remove the weights and the parchment paper and return the tart to the oven for another 10 to 15 minutes. Allow it to cool before removing it from the tart pan.
To prepare the caramel, place sugar and water in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat and cook without stirring until the sugar dissolves and turns caramel in color. Remove the pan from the heat and add cream. It will bubble a little bit. Cook for about 1 or 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until smooth. Remove from heat and add butter and salt. Stir well until smooth. Let the caramel cool slightly and pour it over the chocolate crust. Refrigerate for about 4-5 hours.
To prepare the chocolate ganache, heat the cream in a small saucepan. When the cream just begins to boil at the edges, remove from the heat and pour it over the chopped chocolate. Let it sit for one minute, then stir until smooth. Pour the chocolate ganache over the caramel, spreading it evenly, and refrigerate for another 2-3 hours before serving. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes and serve.
Don’t be afraid to give this Chocolate Salted Caramel Tart a try, it is not a difficult recipe. The most difficult part is to wait for it to set so you can finally enjoy it. Hope you will try it out and if you do, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram. I love seeing how it turns out for you.
Other chocolate and salted caramel desserts
The combination of sweet and salty has become one of my favorites. I’ve used this chocolate and salted caramel combination in many of my recipes like these Chocolate Macarons with Salted Caramel and Flourless Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Mousse. This Chocolate Caramel Mousse Cake is a delicate dessert that consists of two layers of moist cocoa brownie, two layers of mousse, and a caramel topping. You also must try this Chocolate Caramel Lava Cake, with its gooey lava center this dessert is one of the most decadent desserts you can ever prepare. This Chocolate Salted Caramel Cake is a decadent rich layer cake, full of flavor and texture. All these recipes are simply divine. Wish you will try each of these recipes as they are all worth all the effort involved.
Chocolate Salted Caramel Tart
Almond Chocolate Sweet Pastry
- 1 1/4 cups (160g) flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) ground almonds
- 1/4 cup (30g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 stick (110 g) cold unsalted butter , cut into small (1/2-inch) cubes
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1-2 tbsp ice water
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup (120 g) heavy cream
- 5 tbsp (70 g) unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (120 g) heavy cream
- 4 oz (120g) bittersweet chocolate , chopped
- sea salt crystals
- Prepare the sweet pastry. In a large bowl mix flour with ground almonds, cocoa powder, sugar and salt.
- Incorporate butter to the flour mixture, using a pastry blender, a fork or a pastry processor, until crumbs are formed. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix them in. Add water and incorporate into the dough. Wrap it with plastic, knead slowly to form a disc and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- On o floured surface or over the plastic wrap roll the dough to a circle with about 1 1/2 inches larger than your tart pan. Lift up the rolled dough and place it on a greased 9 inch tart pan. Remove the edges and refrigerate for 30 minutes before baking.
- Prick the dough with a fork, line a parchment paper over the dough. Fill with dry beans, rice or pie weights.
- Bake for 15 minutes in preheated 350 F (180C) oven. Remove the weights and the parchment paper. Return to oven for another 10 to 15 minutes. Allow to cool before removing from the tart pan.
- Prepare the caramel. Place the sugar and water in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook without stirring until sugar dissolves and gets a caramel color.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the cream. It will bubble a little bit.
- Cook for about 1 or 2 minutes stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until smooth. Remove from heat and add butter and salt. Stir well until smooth.
- Let the caramel cool slightly and pour over the chocolate crust. Refrigerate for about 4-5 hours.
- Prepare the chocolate ganache. Heat the cream in a small saucepan. When the cream just begins to boil at the edges, remove from heat and pour over the chopped chocolate. Let sit one minute, then stir until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the caramel. Spread it evenly and refrigerate for another 2-3 hours before serving. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes and serve.