Fish is one of my family’s favorite type of meat, we cook with fish more than twice a week. It’s light, healthy, and full of vitamins and minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids. My daughters enjoy fish meals, especially like this Oven Grilled Fish, served with sour cream and garlic sauce or with my homemade lemon sauce.
We usually like fresh water fish, like trout, zander or bass, but we cook salmon and other types of fish as well. Whenever grilling outside is not possible, this method is one of the easiest ways to grill fish indoors. This Oven Grilled Fish is healthy, quick, and delicious, making a great meal.
I like to make some scores into the surface of the fish so all the good flavors combine. You can do that for either a whole fish or a fish fillet.
These days we bought a wild captured zander, one of our favorites, as the meat is very firm, and white, the flavor is very delicate and the bones are easy to remove. If zander is not available in your area use this method presented here for any other type of firm fish. It will work as well.
How to make Oven Grilled Fish
Start by scoring the fish’s surface with a sharp knife in 3 or 4 places. Sprinkle salt, pepper, lemongrass, and any desired herbs on all sides of the fish, including the inside. Place the seasoned fish in a bowl, cover it with foil, and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat your oven to 450F (230C) using the grill function. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or aluminum foil and place a rack on top to allow grease to drip. Put the fish on the rack and drizzle a little butter or vegetable oil over it. Put the tray in the preheated oven.
Allow the fish to cook for approximately 20-30 minutes, or until the skin becomes crispy and lightly golden. Keep a close watch to avoid burning.
Meanwhile, prepare the sour cream mixture by combining sour cream with minced garlic and salt.
Once the fish is cooked, remove it from the oven. Serve it with the sour cream mixture, lemon sauce, or lemon slices alongside your favorite side dish. Hope you will try it out and enjoy this delicious meal! If you do, make sure to share the photos with me on Instagram. Would love to see how it turns out for you.
Other fish recipes you may like to try
This Potato Crusted Sea Bass, inspired by our visit in Rome, is quite easy and can make a great idea for lunch or dinner.
This Baked Sesame Salmon is easy to prepare and bursting with mouthwatering goodness.It is a must-try for seafood enthusiasts and a delightful addition to any dining occasion.
Oven Grilled Fish
- 1 pound fish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ground lemongrass , optional
- herbs , like thyme
- 1 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- lemon sauce or lemon slices
- Score the surface of the fish with a sharp knife in 3 or 4 places, to help the flavors penetrate better. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, lemongrass and herbs if used, on all the sides of the fish as well in the inside. Place them into a bowl, cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450F (230C), grill function.
- Place the fish over the rack of the oven and place the rack on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil, so all the grease can drip there. Sprinkle a little butter or vegetable oil over the fish. Place in the preheated oven.
- Let the fish cook for about 20-30 minutes or until the skin is crispy and a bit golden. Make sure you keep an eye on it as you don't want to let it burn.
- Meanwhile prepare the sour cream mixture, by combining sour cream with minced garlic and salt.
- Remove the fish form the oven and serve with the sour cream mixture, some lemon sauce or simply some lemon slices alongside you favorite side dish.