The idea of making chocolate macarons with salted caramel filling came from the theme of this month of Chocolate Party hosted by Roxana from Roxana’s Home Baking, which is chocolate and caramel.
Chocolate Macarons with Salted Caramel Filling
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered almonds
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large egg whites , at room temperature
- 5 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 tbsp (70 g) unsalted butter , cold
- 1/4 cup minus 1 tbsp (50g) cream
- 1/2 tsp salt crystals
- The directions for the macarons are the same as in the recipe of the Chocolate Macarons I have made.
- Prepare the salted caramel. Heat the cream until it just begins to boil and set aside.Place the sugar in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook without stirring until sugar dissolves and gets a caramel color. Remove the pan from the heat and add the hot cream. It will bubble a little bit. Cook for about 1 minute stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Remove from heat, and add butter and salt. Stir well until smooth. Pour into a bowl, cover and refrigerate to chill.
- Spread a bit of salted caramel on the inside of the macarons then sandwich them together.
- Let them stand at least one day before serving, to meld the flavors.