I have seen this Hurricane Roll some time ago and I found it quite amazing. I simply needed to try my version of it so I’ve combined two of my favorite ingredients, chocolate, and coffee, and turned into this amazing Chocolate Mocha Hurricane Roll.
The cake roll not only has this amazing hurricane effect it is also a delightful treat, consisting of a tender and moist layer of sponge cake filled with apricot jam and chocolate coffee ganache. The white chocolate and coffee shards bring a bit of texture and create an irresistible dessert.
How to make Chocolate Mocha Hurricane Swiss Roll
The recipe for this Chocolate Mocha Hurricane Roll is easy and quick to prepare, just make sure to follow the steps accordingly to get the hurricane effect.
First, prepare the vanilla and chocolate cake batter. The consistency of the batter needs to be a bit runnier than the regular sponge cake batter.
Spread the vanilla cake batter on a 9×13 inch (23x33cm) pan, lined with parchment paper. Very carefully, add the chocolate batter on top and spread it evenly using a spatula.
Hope you’ll try this flavorful Chocolate Mocha Hurricane Roll. Make sure to tag me on Instagram when you give it a try since I enjoy seeing how it turns out for you. Enjoy!
Other chocolate and coffee desserts you may like to try
If you like chocolate and coffee combinations you may also like to try this easy recipe for Flourless Chocolate Cake with Coffee Mousse. It is one of the most loved recipes on my website and always receives rave reviews. This Chocolate Mocha Fault Line Cake with Chocolate Sail is another impressive cake you may like to try. The coffee line decoration and chocolate sail make it a unique dessert that will surely satisfy both chocolate and coffee lovers. For more coffee desserts check out our favorite collection of 15 Delicious Coffee Desserts.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Chocolate Strawberry Swiss Roll
Chocolate Swiss Roll
Strawberry Swiss Roll
Chocolate Mocha Hurricane Swiss Roll
- 4 eggs , separated
- 2 tbsp (30g) sugar for yolks
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (50g) caster sugar for whites
- 1/2 cup (65g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 3 tbsp (45g) vegetable oil (flavorless)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 1 ½ tbsp (12g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp (2g) instant coffee powder
- 2 tbsp (30ml) hot milk
- 3 tbsp (60g) apricot jam
Mocha Chocolate Ganache
- 3.5 oz (100g) semisweet chocolate
- 3.5 fl oz (100ml) whipping cream
- 2 tsp (2g) instant coffee powder
Chocolate shards, optional
- 1.5 oz (45g) white chocolate
- 0.5 oz (15g) white chocolate , for tempering
- instant coffee powder , for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and line with parchment paper a 9×13 inch (23x33cm) pan.
Prepare the sponge cake.
- In a small bowl combine the 2 tablespoons of hot milk with cocoa powder and instant coffee powder and mix until well combined. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl mix yolks with 2 tablespoons sugar, salt and vanilla extract until creamy and light yellow colored. While mixing incorporate vegetable oil. Alternate adding milk and flour until well combined.
- Divide the yolk mixture, adding about a third (about 90g) into another bowl. Mix it with cocoa mixture.
- In a large bowl whip whites until foamy. Gradually add ¼ cup (50g) sugar and continue whipping until soft peaks form.
- Fold a third of the whipped whites into the cocoa mixture. Fold the rest of the whites into the vanilla mixture. (The batters need to be a bit runny not as stiff as a regular sponge)
- Pour vanilla batter into the prepared pan. Gently pour the cocoa batter on top and spread evenly.
- Use the end of a spoon or knife or a small spatula to create horizontal lines and then vertical ones to create the hurricane effect.
- Bake for about 13-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and invert the cake onto a parchment paper, and cool completely.
Meanwhile prepare the mocha chocolate ganache.
- Place the chocolate, coffee powder, and cream into a small pan. Melt over low heat and transfer to a clean bowl to cool to room temperature.
- Trim the edges of the sponge. Spread a thin layer of apricot jam.
- Spread ganache on top.
- Roll the sponge gently using the parchment paper. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to set.
Meanwhile, prepare chocolate shards.
- Melt 1.5 oz (45g) white chocolate over bain-marie. Remove from heat and add remaining chopped white chocolate for tempering. Stir until melted.
- Spread chocolate evenly into a thin layer on a parchment paper. Dust with instant coffee powder and refrigerate until set. Break or cut into shards and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Cut the ends of the roll and transfer it to a serving platter. Dust with cocoa powder. Decorate the roll with white chocolate shards. Cut into slices and enjoy!!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
I have been wanting to make this for couple of weeks before but I have not found the right recipe. After trying this my whole family fell in love. I’m so glad i made it and i can really rely on site’s recipes thanks 🙂
Thank you for a lovely recipe. But it looks like you may have forgotten to include the directions for the chocolate ganache. What do we do after melting the chocolate, cream, and coffee? Look forward to your reply 🙂