I don’t know how many of you are familiar with this German Mole Cake – Maulwurfkuchen. It is a very popular cake that many are preparing it using a store-bought Mole Cake Mix. This is a very easy cake that can be made from scratch, and that is what I am going to share with you. There are many recipes for this cake, I made my own recipe , a German Mocha Mole Cake, combining one of my favorite chocolate cake recipes with fresh bananas and mocha whipped cream.
In the classic mole cake there is no coffee but I have always loved how bananas, chocolate and coffee go together. Coffee always enhances the chocolate flavor in every dessert. The cake consists of a chocolate sponge cake, filled with fresh bananas, mocha whipped cream with chocolate and coated into chocolate cake crumbs.
How to make German Mocha Mole Cake.
First, you have to prepare a chocolate cake and let it cool completely. For the chocolate cake I use a chocolate cake recipe that I love, the one used in this Chocolate Rose Cake and adapted for this recipe. The batter is made using hot coffee which makes the batter a bit runny but once baked it is moist and chocolatey, not to mention very easy to prepare.
Once cooled, use a tablespoon to hollow out the center of the cake and turn the reserved cake into crumbs.
Make the mocha whipped cream filling by whipping cream with instant coffee powder and powdered sugar. You can consider using gelatin or cream stabilizer if desired. I didn’t feel the need but go for it if that makes you feel more comfortable. In the end,fold some mini chocolate rocks or shredded chocolate.
Fill the cake with fresh bananas, and cover with the mocha whipped cream in a shape dome.
Coat with cake crumbs and the cake is ready.
If you like banana and chocolate combination you may also like this easy recipe for Chocolate Banana Bread. For a more sophisticated dessert you may want to try this Chocolate Banana Caramel Mousse Cake that is absolutely delightful. If you are searching for a no-bake desert then this Banoffee Pie will surely satisfy your cravings without turning on the oven.
Hope you will try this easy German Mole Cake and don’t forget to let me know if you try it out. Enjoy!
German Mocha Mole Cake – Maulwurfkuchen
Chocolate Mocha Cake
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (40g) unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 tsp (8g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5g) salt
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60g) vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (120g) buttermilk
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) hot coffee
- 3 medium fresh bananas
Mocha Whipped Cream
- 2 cups (500g) whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (30g) powdered sugar
- 2 ½ tsp (4g) instant coffee powder
- 1 oz (30g) mini chocolate rocks
Prepare the chocolate cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease with butter a 8-inch (20 cm) pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl mix egg with sugar and oil until well combined. Mix in buttermilk and vanilla extract. Incorporate flour mixture until well combined. Add hot coffee and mix to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached.
- Let cool completely.
- Use a tablespoon to hollow out the center of the cake, leaving an edge of ½ inch (1cm).
- Turn the reserved cake into crumbs.
Prepare the mocha chocolate whipped cream.
- In a large bowl whip cream with powdered sugar and instant coffee powder until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the mini chocolate pieces.
- Fill the cake with whole bananas.
- Cover the cake with the mocha whipped cream in a dome shape.
- Coat the cake with reserved cake crumbs.
- Press down lightly.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to serve. Enjoy!