This delectable Chocolate Strawberry Swiss Roll dessert is a perfect treat for spring and summer days, as it offers a delightful combination of flavors that will tantalize your taste buds. The chocolate sponge cake, adorned with beautiful floral decorations, is guaranteed to impress any guest.
As spring is finally here, I felt inspired to create this floral masterpiece, and I must say that it was a lot of fun to prepare. There’s something incredibly satisfying about decorating a sponge cake with floral patterns, and this Chocolate Strawberry Swiss Roll is no exception.
The light filling of white chocolate, whipped cream, and diced fresh strawberries perfectly complements the rich and decadent chocolate sponge cake, resulting in a dessert that is both sweet and refreshing. And the best part? You can customize the filling to suit your taste preferences, whether you prefer a richer chocolate flavor or want to skip the strawberries altogether.
How to make Chocolate Strawberry Swiss Roll with Flower Pattern
For this beautiful cake roll you will have to follow three major steps: the flower pattern batter, the chocolate sponge cake and white chocolate filling.
Prepare the flower pattern batter
To create the beautiful flower pattern on your Chocolate Strawberry Swiss Roll, you’ll need to prepare a separate batter. You have the option of using the provided flower template or creating your own. Once you have your pattern ready, lightly grease a 12×16 inch (30x40cm) baking sheet and place the flower pattern paper on it. Cover the paper with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together one egg and sugar until combined. Add flour and melted butter, and whisk until well incorporated. You can add red food coloring until you reach your desired color.
Once the batter is ready, place it into a piping bag fitted with a small plain tip. Gently pipe the batter onto the parchment paper, following the flower pattern. Freeze the baking sheet for about 15-20 minutes while you prepare the sponge cake batter.
Prepare the chocolate sponge cake
To make the chocolate sponge cake, preheat your oven to 350F (180C). In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. In a separate large bowl, add eggs and sugar, then beat with an electric mixer until foamy. Add vanilla extract and oil, and mix until well incorporated. Gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture.
Pour the batter onto the prepared baking sheet, covering the frozen flowers, and spread it evenly. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Once baked, sprinkle powdered sugar over the cake to prevent sticking. Flip the cake on a parchment paper or kitchen towel and while still hot, roll it up. Let the cake cool completely.
Prepare the white chocolate cream filling
To prepare the white chocolate and cream filling, place chocolate and 3 tablespoons of cream in a heatproof bowl and place it over a pan with simmering water. Melt the mixture over low heat and cool it to room temperature. In another bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in the melted chocolate.
Assemble the Chocolate Strawberry Swiss Roll
Unroll the cake and spread the chocolate filling evenly over the cake, leaving a 1 inch (2.54 cm) border. Sprinkle finely diced fresh strawberries over the filling. Roll the cake back up and refrigerate it for at least 2 hours before serving, to set.
If you like cake roll recipes check our collection of 15 Cake Rolls perfect for various occasions.
Chocolate Strawberry Swiss Roll
For Flower Pattern
- 1 small egg
- 2 tbsp (30g) sugar
- 1/3 cup+1 tbsp (50g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (14g) butter , melted
- red food coloring
Chocolate Sponge Cake
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (28g) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup+1tbsp (50g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (40g) dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (4g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 5.5 oz (150g) white chocolate
- 3 tbsp (45g) whipping cream
- 1 cup (240g) whipping cream , chilled
- 9 oz (250g) fresh strawberries , finely diced
Prepare the batter for flower pattern
- You can use the flower template I've used or make your own.
- Slightly grease a 12×16 inch (30x40cm) baking sheet. Add the flower pattern paper and add a parchment paper on top.
- In a medium bowl whisk egg with sugar until combined. Add flour and melted butter and whisk to combine. Add red food coloring until the desired color is reached. Place the batter into a piping bag or small bottle fit with a small plain tip.
- Gently pipe flowers onto the parchment paper. Freeze the baking sheet until you prepare the sponge cake batter. for about 15-20 minutes.
Prepare the sponge cake
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- In a medium bowl whisk flour with cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add eggs and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until lemon yellow and foamy. Add vanilla extract and oil and mix until well incorporated. Gradually add flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet over the frozen flowers and spread evenly into the corners using the back of the spatula.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar. This helps the cake not stick. Flip the cake over the paper. Remove the parchment paper it was baked with. Flip again and while still hot roll with the parchment paper inside. You will have to do it while is still hot/warm otherwise it cracks. Let cool completely.
Prepare the filling
- Place chocolate and 3 tbsp (45g) cream in a heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt over low heat. Cool to room temperature.
- In another bowl whip cream until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in melted chocolate.
- Unroll the cake and spread the chocolate filling evenly over the cake leaving a 1 inch (2.54 cm border).
- Sprinkle finely diced fresh strawberries over the filling.
- Roll the cake back up. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Enjoy!