This Chocolate Strawberry Swiss Roll is a delightful dessert perfect for summer days. A flower decorated chocolate sponge cake filled with a light filling of white chocolate, whipped cream and diced fresh strawberries. May seem like a great dessert for a girl gathering due to the flower decor on the sponge cake.
I’ve kept seeing decors made on sponge cakes and I really wanted to try a floral one as spring is finally here now and I must say it’s fun to prepare and really satisfying.
You can choose whatever filling you desire for this Chocolate Strawberry Swiss Roll, with or without the strawberries, in either way it’s delicious and quite easy to prepare.
Chocolate Strawberry Swiss Roll
For Flower Pattern
- 1 small egg
- 2 tbsp (30g) sugar
- 1/3 cup+1 tbsp (50g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (14g) butter , melted
- red food coloring
Chocolate Sponge Cake
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (28g) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup+1tbsp (50g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (40g) dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (4g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 5.5 oz (150g) white chocolate
- 3 tbsp (45g) whipping cream
- 1 cup (240g) whipping cream , chilled
- 9 oz (250g) fresh strawberries , finely diced
- Prepare the batter for flower pattern. You can use the flower template I've used or make your own.
- Slightly grease a 12×16 inch (30x40cm) baking sheet. Add the flower pattern paper and add a parchment paper on top.
- In a medium bowl whisk egg with sugar until combined. Add flour and melted butter and whisk to combine. Add red food coloring until the desired color is reached. Place the batter into a piping bag or small bottle fit with a small plain tip.
- Gently pipe flowers onto the parchment paper. Freeze the baking sheet until you prepare the sponge cake batter. for about 15-20 minutes.
- Prepare the sponge cake. Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- In a medium bowl whisk flour with cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add eggs and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until lemon yellow and foamy. Add vanilla extract and oil and mix until well incorporated. Gradually add flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet over the frozen flowers and spread evenly into the corners using the back of the spatula.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar. This helps the cake not stick. Flip the cake over the paper. Remove the parchment paper it was baked with. Flip again and while still hot roll with the parchment paper inside. You will have to do it while is still hot/warm otherwise it cracks. Let cool completely.
- Prepare the filling. Place chocolate and 3 tbsp (45g) cream in a heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt over low heat. Cool to room temperature.
- In another bowl whip cream until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in melted chocolate.
- Unroll the cake and spread the chocolate filling evenly over the cake leaving a 1 inch (2.54 cm border).
- Sprinkle finely diced fresh strawberries over the filling.
- Roll the cake back up. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Enjoy!