It may seem strange to mix coffee and strawberries, but if you want a bold, decadent, grown-up cake, this Chocolate Strawberry Coffee Layer Cake is the one. With chocolate and coffee in perfect harmony and along with a sweet, subtle strawberry jam, this tastes like the richest and most moist cake, perfect for a friend’s gathering.
How to prepare this Chocolate Strawberry Coffee Layer Cake
This cake has 5 components, it may seem intimidating, but all the steps are simple and straightforward. I recommend doing the coffee cake and chocolate cremeux a day ahead, so you do not have to do too many things in one day.
How to make the milk chocolate cremeux
Start by making the milk chocolate cremeux. This is a very smooth and creamy custard, it needs to sit in the fridge to set, for at least 4 hours or overnight. For this, you’ll need a cooking thermometer and a hand blender.
Hydrate the gelatine in cold water. Bring to a simmer the first whipping cream. Meanwhile, mix the egg yolk and sugar until pale. Pour the hot whipping cream into the egg yolk mixture and return it to the stove. Keep mixing on low heat until the temperature reaches 179 F (82 C). Be careful not to let the temperature go higher. Remove from the stove and add in the gelatine, mix until the gelatine melted. Then add the milk chocolate and mix with a hand blender. Cover it with foil and put it in the fridge. After chilling and set, add the remaining cream and stir vigorously until you obtain a shiny custard.
How to prepare the chocolate coffee cake layers
Now you can prepare the coffee cake. The ingredients are for a 5.9 inches (15 cm) cake pan. Start by mixing the oil, egg, and sugar. Add in the buttermilk, add in all the dry ingredients, and mix until combined. At the end add the strong hot coffee. The batter will be runny, don’t worry, it is the right way to be. Bake at 35oF (180C), for about 40 mins, depending on the oven. Leave the cake in the pan to cool, then you can cut it into three evenly horizontal layers.
How to prepare the strawberry jam and syrup
While the cake is in the oven, you can prepare the strawberry jam and syrup. For making the jam, simply put all the ingredients in a saucepan and let them boil for 5 minutes until you get a thick mixture. For the coffee liqueur syrup, boil the water and sugar for 5 minutes and remove them from the stove, then add the coffee liqueur. You can leave out the liqueur if you don’t like it or replace it with just coffee.
How to prepare the coffee cream
You can make the coffee cream right before you assemble the cake. First, you need to lightly beat the chocolate cremeux, until it becomes soft and shiny. Then, in a large bowl, using a hand mixer, mix together the cream cheese, whipping cream, powdered sugar, instant coffee and chocolate cremeux until soft peaks form. The cream will be a little soft but it will set once the cake stays in the fridge. Refrigerate the cake for at least 4 hours. I recommend leaving it in the fridge overnight because the flavors will have time to infuse properly.
Decorate the cake as desired using fresh strawberries, chocolate and chocolate-covered coffee beans.
Hope you will try this amazing Chocolate Strawberry Coffee Layer Cake. Tag me on Instagram if you do and enjoy it as much as we did.
Other chocolate coffee layer cakes you may like
If you like chocolate and coffee combinations you might also like to try this Chocolate Mocha Fault Line Cake. It consists of three layers of moist chocolate cake with cream cheese mocha filling, coated in a delicious sweetened condensed milk buttercream. This Chocolate Vertical Layer Cake consists of moist chocolate sponge cake filled with apricot jam and mascarpone coffee frosting, topped on a buttery biscuit base, everything coated in Mascarpone frosting and chocolate ganache. For a no-bake chocolate and coffee cake try this delightful Chocolate Mocha Crepe Cake that is very easy to prepare and has an amazing flavor. Let’s don’t forget about the amazing French dessert, Opera Cake which is known worldwide and is much appreciated by everyone.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Coffee Mousse
No-Bake Chocolate Biscuit Mocha Mousse Cake
Chocolate Mocha Hurricane Swiss Roll
Chocolate Strawberry Coffee Layer Cake
Coffee Cake Layers
- 3 tbsp (45ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3.5 fl. oz. (100ml) buttermilk
- 1 tsp (5g) instant coffee powder
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (16g) cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp (3g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (3g) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 3.5 fl.oz. (100ml) strong hot coffee
Milk Chocolate Cremeux
- 1/2 tsp (2g) gelatine powder
- 2 tsp (10ml) cold water
- 4 tbsp (60ml) whipping cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp (15g) sugar
- 1.7 oz (50g) milk chocolate
- 2 tbsp (30ml) whipping cream , chilled
- 5 oz (150g) cream cheese
- 1/2 cup (120ml) whipping cream
- 1/3 cup (40g) powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp (10g) instant coffee
- 6 oz (180g) milk chocolate cremeux
- 5 oz (150g) strawberries , fresh or frozen
- 4 tbsp (60g) sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp (3g) pectine (or lemon zest)
Coffee Liqueur Syrup
- 5 fl. oz. (150ml) water
- 4 tbsp (60g) sugar
- 3 tbsp (50 ml) coffee liqueur (any type you like)
- fresh strawberries
Prepare the Coffee Cake Layers
- Grease and line with parchment paper a 6 inch (15cm) round cake pan. Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- In a bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together the oil, the egg and the sugar until all is combined.
- Add the buttermilk over the egg mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Add in the dry ingredients, and mix until combined.
- Add in the strong hot coffee, and mix until all comes together in a thin, runny batter.
- Bake for about 40 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely.
- Cut the cake into three horizontal evenly layers.
Prepare the Milk Chocolate Cremeux
- Hydrate the gelatine in cold water, for about 5 minutes.
- Bring to a simmer the 4 tablespoons (60ml) whipping cream.
- In a bowl, mix the egg yolk and sugar until pale.
- Add the hot whipping cream to the egg mixture, mix for 1 minute, return it to the stove, and over low heat, keep mixing until it reaches 179F (82C).
- After the emulsion reached the right temperature, remove it from the stove and add in the gelatine, and mix until dissolved.
- Incorporate the milk chocolate and mix for 1 minute until it melts, then use an immersion blender until you get a shiny and smooth emulsion.
- Cover it with foil and put it in the fridge. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- After you take it out from the fridge, it will be set, due to the gelatine. Add the 2 tablespoons (30ml) of whipping cream and lightly beat it with a hand mixer until soft peaks form.
Prepare the Strawberry Jam
- Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Boil for about 5 minutes, until the jam becomes thick.
- Let it cool completely.
Prepare the Coffee Liqueur Syrup
- In a saucepan bring to a boil the water and sugar. Boil for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and add in the coffee liqueur.
- Let it cool completely.
Prepare the Coffee Cream
- In a large bowl, with a hand mixer, mix the cream cheese, the whipping cream, and the powdered sugar, until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Incorporate the instant coffee and the chocolate cremeux and mix until soft peaks form. Now is ready to use.
Assemble the cake
- Place one cake layer on your serving plate. Put a cake ring and parchment paper around it, this will help the cake stay still.
- Using a brush, or a spoon, gently apply about 3 tbsp of syrup to the cake layer, but be careful, you don't want to soak the layer.
- Using a spatula, spread evenly about 5.5 oz (160g) of coffee cream over the cake layer.
- Add 3-4 tbsp of strawberry jam over the coffee cream, don't spread it too close to the edges.
- Add the second layer of cake and repeat steps 2, 3, and 4.
- Finish with the third layer of cake.
- Apply 3 tbsp of syrup and spread the remaining coffee cream on top.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- For decoration, you can leave the cake naked or semi-naked and on top, you can add fresh strawberries, chocolate sprinkles, or chocolate chips. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.