French toast has always been one of our quick and easy favorite dishes for breakfast time. It takes no more than 5 minutes to prepare. Simply use old bread, cut it into slices, dip it into egg mixture and cook on medium heat on a nonstick pan. That’s it, so quick and easy but so delicious and comforting.
This time I have used an old baguette but any other bread will work as well as long as you let it go old. Using old bread makes the toast soak more egg mixture and hold it’s shape better while cooking.
French toast can be served either as a savory or sweet dish. Children love this breakfast in either ways. I make French toast pretty often for my daughters as they really love it. Each time can be served differently. For sweet toasts you can choose to serve it with maple syrup, honey, jam, fresh fruits, Nutella, for the savory ones with fresh vegetables, homemade ketchup, cheese and the list can go on.
This recipe is for the sweet version, made with vanilla, cinnamon and served with powdered sugar and honey. If you want it savory simply take out the vanilla and cinnamon and add more salt. If there is still somebody out there who have never tried French toast you really have to give it a try. Good morning everybody, and have a wonderful day 🙂
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 10 baguette thick slices , a day old
- 2 tbsp butter , for greasing the pan
- powdered sugar
- maple syrup or honey
- Cut the baguette into thick slices.
- In a flat bottom bowl beat egg with milk, vanilla, salt and cinnamon.
- Add 1 tbsp of butter into a 10 inch nonstick pan and heat over medium heat.
- Dip baguette slices into the egg mixture, allow to soak on each side, and place in the pan.
- Cook on both side until golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining butter, baguette slices and egg mixture.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar and maple syrup or honey over the top and serve.