This delicious dessert made of sheets of crispy puff pastry, filled with vanilla custard cream is very familiar in many European countries and it is known under various names: cremeschnitte, krempita, kremšnita, krémes, cremsnit, cremes, and so on. No matter what is called it is a dessert you need to try at least once in a lifetime.
Making your kremsnita is not complicated, especially if you use store-bought puff pastry. The cream is prepared really quickly, and the hard part is simply the time it needs to set in the fridge.
As Easter is approaching this Kremsnita dessert might be a great choice to prepare for your loved ones. Enjoy!
Magic Custard Cake
Kremšnita - Krempita - Cremeschnitte - Vanilla Custard Cake
- 1 package (250g) puff pastry
- 3 ⅓ cup (800 ml) milk , divided
- 1/4 cup (30g) cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (60g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar , divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (80g) whipping cream
- Prepare the pastry sheets. Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Roll the puff pastry thin (so that you can cut 2 – 8 inch (20cm) squares in the end) and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden. Cool completely.
- Prepare the vanilla custard filling. Separate egg whites from yolks.
- Mix yolks with ½ cup (100g) sugar, cornstarch, flour and gradually incorporate 1 cup (240ml) milk. Whisk to combine.
- Place the remaining 2 ⅓ cups (560ml) into a saucepan and bring to a boil. While whisking continuously pour the yolk mixture over the hot milk and continue cooking until thickens. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- Add salt over the whites and start whipping until foamy. Gradually add the remaining ¼ cup (50g) sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped whites into the hot milk mixture.
- Whip cream until stiff peaks form. Incorporate into the mixture.
- Assemble the cake. Cut the baked puff pastry into 2 8 inch (20cm) squares.
- Place one square at the bottom of a square 8 inch (20cm) pan.
- Add the filling and smooth the top.
- Cut the remaining square of puff pastry into 6 or 8 equal pieces. Place them on top of the custard.
- Refrigerate the cake for 3 -4 hours to set.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
How to call those forms You are using in this and a few more videos? I am looking for something like that and I can’t find it. By the way, I did make a few of Your recipes and all are amazing.
Looks so delicious and reminds me of one of my favorite desserts as a child ?
Thanks for this delicious recipe. I tried to make it and I like the flavor very much. The only problem I had was the vanilla custard filling was not solid enough. I couldnot get it out with a decent shape. Does it mean I should heating for longer time before adding egg whites and cream? Or I should reduce the amount of egg whites? Thanks again.
Hi dear Ella
Thanks for sharing your recipes ….
Do you have the puff pastry recipe in your blog?
Your recipe of ‘kremsnita-krempita-cremeschnitte-vanilla-custard-cake looks very delicious and I will try it soon, thank you for sharing it.
Where can I find that pan?
I would love to buy the form used for making this so nice. Please let me know the name.
Where can I get a dish like you used for your custard cake recipe? Thank you Terri
I have them form Delicake Australia.. they do international shipping and they are great.. I totally love them https://www.delicake.com.au/