This Lemon and Poppy Seed Pound Cake is a flavorful cake, moist and lemony, great for breakfast time or for coffee/tea break.
While still warm the pound cake is brushed with a sweet lemony syrup which brings more moisture and flavor to it. Also, the poppy seeds bring an amazing crunchy and flavorful texture as well. The sweet and tart in this recipe is very well balanced, not too sweet not to tart either.
The recipe is easy and quick and always with great results. You can also use the batter to make lemon and poppy seed muffins. If you like poppy seeds and lemony desserts this one is just right for you.
Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake
- 1 ¾ cups (220g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (2g) salt
- 1 ½ tsp (6g) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1.5g) baking soda
- 3 tbsp (30g) poppy seeds
- lemon zest of 2 lemons
- 1/3 cup (75g) butter , softened
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (70g) oil
- 1/2 cup (120g) buttermilk
- 4 tbsp (60ml) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and dust with flour one 9x5in (23x13cm) loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk flour with salt, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds and lemon zest. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large bowl mix butter with sugar until combined. Incorporate eggs one at a time . Mix in vanilla extract and oil.
- Gradually add flour mixture alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350F (180C) for about 1 hour until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Prepare the lemon glaze. In a small saucepan add sugar and lemon juice. Heat over low-medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Use a skewer to poke the pound cake over the top and brush the lemon glaze over the warm pound cake.
- Let it cool completely before serving.