Gingerbread Cookies are some of the favorite cookies to be prepared for Christmas. The spices used and molasses give an amazing flavor and the aroma while baking is amazing. Kids enjoy making them during the holiday season.
The dough is really easy to work with, and can be cut in various shapes and decorated in endless ways. This recipes uses molasses but if you don’t have it around you can also make gingerbread cookies without molasses using the recipe I’ve made for the Gingerbread Stars which is made with honey instead.
You can also use these cookies to decorate the Christmas tree or simply use them as homemade holiday gifts.
Hope you will try these impressive Gingerbread Cookies, tag me on Instagram if you do and enjoy.
If you are in search of holiday chocolate cookies you may also like these Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies. They are so easy to prepare and look very festive. These Easy Chocolate Crinkle Cookies are the perfect holiday cookies for chocolate lovers and are a great choice for any other special occasion as well. Also, these Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies are one of the kids’ favorite cookies and have an amazing flavor.
- 2 ½ cups (315g) flour
- 1/3 cup (75g) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (3g) salt
- 1 tsp (3g) ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp (4g) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2g) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1g) ground cloves
- 1 tsp (6g) baking soda
- 1/2 cup (113g) butter , room temperature
- 1/3 cup (100g) molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (120g) powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp (15-30ml) lemon juice or milk
- In a large bowl whisk dry ingredients together: flour, salt, spices and baking soda.
- In another bowl cream butter with sugar. Add the egg and molasses and mix well.
- Incorporate dry ingredients to the butter mixture and stir until the dough comes together. Divide the dough in two disks and cover each with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour up to 3 days.
- Roll the dough between two layers of plastic wrap, or between two layers of parchment paper until 1/8 inch (2-3 mm) thick. If you want them crispy roll the dough very thin. If you want them softer roll it out thicker.
- Preheat oven to 350°F(180°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut the dough into desired shapes using the cookie cutters. Re-roll the remaining dough and cut more shapes. I use a fork to remove the dough between the cookies. Place the cookies onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving a little space between them.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes (depending on the cookie size). Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing simply combine powdered sugar with milk or lemon juice. Spoon the icing into the piping bag and decorate the gingerbread cookies as desired. Allow to set.