This Strawberry Poppy Seed Layer Cake is a heavenly delight that will tantalize your taste buds and leave you craving for more. The cake consists of three luscious layers of moist and fluffy vanilla and lemon cake, dotted with vibrant poppy seeds. Each layer is generously spread with a velvety cream cheese and white chocolate frosting and a homemade strawberry sauce.
The fresh strawberry sauce adds a refreshing burst of flavor, perfectly complementing the delicate crumb of the cake. The cream cheese lends a subtle tanginess, beautifully balanced by the richness of the white chocolate. The combination creates a luxurious and indulgent dessert.
Every bite of this cake is a true delight. The soft and tender cake layers mingle with the creamy strawberry sauce, creating a symphony of flavors that dance on your palate. The poppy seeds add a delicate crunch, adding a textural contrast that keeps every mouthful interesting. The frosting, with its rich and velvety consistency, provides a decadent finish to this dessert masterpiece.
How to make strawberry poppy seed layer cake
To prepare the strawberry poppy seed layer cake, start by making the poppy seed sponge cake. Then continue with the strawberry sauce and lemon sugar syrup to have time to cool. The next step is to prepare the cream cheese and white chocolate frosting and then assemble the cake.
Prepare the poppy seed sponge cake
To prepare the poppy seed sponge cake, you start by preheating the oven to 340F (170C) and greasing an 8-inch (20 cm) pan, lining the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
Next, separate the egg whites from the yolks. In a medium bowl, mix the yolks with 1/3 cup (70g) of sugar and lemon zest until you achieve a creamy and pale yellow color. Add vanilla extract and baking powder, and mix to combine. Gradually mix in the oil and then add water.
Incorporate the flour and poppy seeds into the mixture, ensuring they are well combined. In a separate large bowl, mix the egg whites with salt until they become foamy. Gradually add the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar and continue mixing until stiff peaks form.
Gently fold a spoonful of the whipped egg whites into the yolk mixture, and then gently fold the yolk mixture into the whipped whites. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Once baked, let the cake cool for about 10-15 minutes. Remove it from the pan, invert it, and cool it completely on a rack.
Prepare the lemon sugar syrup
While the cake cools, prepare the lemon sugar syrup by adding water, sugar, and lemon juice to a saucepan and boiling for 3 minutes. Set it aside to cool.
Prepare the strawberry sauce
In another saucepan, add strawberries, sugar, and cornstarch to prepare the strawberry sauce. Bring it to a boil and let it simmer for 5 minutes until it thickens. Allow it to cool.
Prepare the white chocolate cream cheese frosting
For the white chocolate cream cheese frosting, place white chocolate and ¼ cup of cream into a heatproof bowl. Melt it over low heat in a pan with simmering water and let it cool to room temperature. In a large bowl, mix cream cheese until it becomes smooth. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Then, mix in the melted chocolate and set the frosting aside. Add whipping cream and continue mixing until stiff peaks form.
Assemble the strawberry poppy seed layer cake
To assemble the cake, divide the sponge cake into 3 layers. Add a bit of frosting in the middle of a serving platter and place the first layer of cake on top. Soak the cake with about a third of the lemon sugar syrup. Spread up to ⅓ of the white chocolate cream cheese frosting evenly. Gently spread the strawberry sauce over the frosting, leaving a ½-inch (1cm) border.
Place the second layer of cake on top. Soak it with lemon sugar syrup, spread up to ⅓ of the frosting, and spread the remaining strawberry sauce on top. Add the last layer of cake and soak it with lemon sugar syrup. Cover the top and sides of the cake with the remaining frosting.
Refrigerate the cake to set for several hours or overnight. Once set, decorate the cake as desired, such as by piping the remaining frosting, adding strawberry halves, and sprinkling poppy seeds.
Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or simply treating yourself to an extraordinary dessert, the Strawberry Poppy Seed Layer Cake is sure to captivate your senses. Its combination of fresh strawberries, delicate poppy seed sponge cake, and the creamy elegance of cream cheese and white chocolate frosting will leave an unforgettable impression on your taste buds. With each slice, you’ll experience a little slice of heaven that will transport you to a world of pure culinary delight.
Hope you will try this amazing cake and if you do make sure to share the photos with me on Instagram. Enjoy!
Other layer cakes you may like to try
Experience the perfect harmony of flavors with our Poppy Seed Blueberry Lemon Cake. This delectable treat features a moist lemon-infused cake layered with bursts of juicy blueberries and a delightful crunch from poppy seeds.
This Strawberry Lemon Layer Cake consists of four thin layers of vanilla lemon sponge cake filled with a generous amount of freshly made strawberry jam and with Mascarpone lemon frosting. The cake is so light and refreshing and is simply bursting with summer flavor.
If you want a bold, decadent, grown-up cake, this Chocolate Strawberry Coffee Layer Cake is the one. With chocolate and coffee in perfect harmony and along with a sweet, subtle strawberry jam, this tastes like the richest and most moist cake, perfect for a friend’s gathering.
This delectable White Chocolate Pineapple Cake is a delicate dessert that is perfect for any occasion. It is consisting of a bottom layer of almond crispy biscuit, followed by three layers of fluffy vanilla sponge cake that are soaked in pineapple juice, then filled with heavenly white chocolate and cream cheese frosting and delectable pineapple jelly. The result is a cake that simply melts in your mouth.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Double Chocolate Layer Cake
White Chocolate Cranberry Orange Layer Cake
Chocolate Layer Cake
Tiramisu Layer Cake
Best Ever Refined Sugar Free Carrot Cake
Chocolate Raspberry Cake
Blueberry Lemon Cake
Strawberry Layer Cake
Berry Cream Cheese Mousse Cake
Strawberry Poppy Seed Layer Cake
- 8-inch (20cm) round pan
Poppy Seed Sponge Cake
- 4 eggs , separated
- 2/3 cup (140g) sugar , divided
- Lemon zest of a lemon
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 3 fl oz (90ml) vegetable oil
- 3 fl oz (90ml) water
- 1 ⅔ cup (200g) flour
- 2 tsp (8g) baking powder
- 1/2 cup poppy seeds
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
Lemon Sugar Syrup
- 2/3 cup (160ml) water
- 4 tbsp (60g) sugar
- Juice from one lemon
- 9 oz (250g) strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (8g) cornstarch
White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 oz (180g) white chocolate , small pieces
- 1/4 cup (60g) whipping cream
- 13 oz (360g) cream cheese , room temperature
- 1/2 cup (60g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (480g) whipping cream (35% fat) , chilled
- fresh strawberries
- poppy seeds
- remaining frosting
Prepare the poppy seed sponge cake.
- Preheat the oven to 340F (170C). Grease and line the bottom of an 8-inch (20 cm) pan with parchment paper.
- Separate whites from yolks.
- In a medium bowl mix yolks with 1/3 cup (70g) sugar, lemon zest and vanilla extract, until creamy and pale yellow colored. Add baking powder and mix to combine. Gradually mix in oil and then add water.
- Incorporate flour and poppy seeds.
- In a large bowl mix egg whites with salt until foamy. Gradually add the remaining 1/3 cup (70g) sugar. Continue mixing until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold a spoon of whipped whites into the yolk mixture and then gently fold the yolk mixture into the whipped whites.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool for about 10-15 minutes. Remove from the pan, invert and cool completely on a rack.
Prepare the lemon syrup.
- In a saucepan add the water, sugar and lemon juice and boil for 3 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
Prepare the strawberry sauce.
- In a saucepan add the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch.
- Bring to a boil and let it simmer for 5 minutes until thickens. Allow to cool.
Prepare the white chocolate cream cheese frosting.
- Place white chocolate and ¼ cup cream into a heatproof bowl and place over a pan with simmering water. Melt over low heat. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl mix cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Mix in melted chocolate and set aside.
- Add whipping cream and continue mixing until stiff peaks form.
Assemble the cake.
- Divide the sponge cake into three layers.
- Add a bit of frosting in the middle of a serving platter and place the first layer of cake.
- Soak the cake with about a third of lemon sugar syrup.
- Spread evenly with up to ⅓ of white chocolate cream cheese frosting.
- Gently spread strawberry sauce over the frosting, leaving a ½-inch (1cm) border.
- Add the second layer of cake. Soak with lemon sugar syrup, spread up to ⅓ of the frosting and spread the remaining strawberry sauce on top.
- Add the last layer of cake and soak it with lemon sugar syrup. Cover the top and sides with the remaining frosting.
- Refrigerate to set for several hours or overnight.
- Decorate the cake as desired. You can pipe the remaining frosting and add strawberry halves and poppy seeds. Enjoy!