These Whole Wheat Carrot Biscuits are one of the best healthier biscuits you can ever try all year round. Flaky, buttery and with an amazing flavor, these biscuits are simply irresistible. They are the perfect treat for breakfast, lunch or dinner alongside soups or stews or simply as a snack. Kids love these biscuits in their lunch boxes or as an after-school snack.
How to make whole wheat carrot biscuits.
The recipe for these biscuits is quick and easy. Make sure to prepare all the ingredients before starting to prepare the dough. Grate the carrots and cheese and set aside until ready to use. It is essential to use chilled ingredients and work pretty quickly to create flaky biscuits.
For this recipe, I’ve used whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour to add fiber and make them more nutritious. I also added some oats that bring an amazing flavor and texture. Carrots, cheese and seeds are also enriching the nutritious value while adding more flavor and texture.
I always love to use buttermilk when making biscuits as it helps create a tender and soft crumb. Also, make sure to not overwork the dough and you will surely get a satisfying result.
I highly recommend not skipping the folding process as this will ensure the flaky layers of goodness. It is not difficult and worth all the effort.
If you like biscuit recipes you may also like these Pumpkin Biscuits that are perfect for the fall season. Also, these Cheddar Biscuits are always very much appreciated every time I bring them to a gathering. You may also like to try these Garlic Cheese Bombs that take the biscuit dough and shape it and fill it with gooey cheese turning them into a delightful and unforgettable treat.
Hope you will try this healthy Whole Wheat Carrot Biscuits and enjoy as much we did!
Whole Wheat Carrot Biscuits
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (125g) whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup (25g) oats
- 2 ½ tsp (10g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5g) sugar
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 3 oz (90g) 1 medium carrot , grated
- 6 tbsp (80g) cold unsalted butter , cut into small cubes
- 1 cup (240g) buttermilk , cold
- 1/2 cup (50g) cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp (10g) pumpkin seeds
- 1 small egg , beaten
- Bagel seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF(180ºC). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk the flour, whole wheat flour, oats, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Use a pastry cutter or fork or your fingertips to quickly cut the butter into the flour mixture until you get pea size pieces.
- Add grated carrots, cheddar cheese and pumpkin seeds and just give a quick stir to combine with the flour mixture. Add the buttermilk and mix until incorporated and the dough just comes together.
- Pour the mix onto a lightly floured surface, gently press the dough and then pat it with your hands trying to shape it into an about 1/2 inch (1cm) thick rectangle. Fold the dough into thirds like a business letter, using the long sides of the rectangle. Repeat this step, pat it down again into a 1/2 inch (1cm) rectangle and again fold it into thirds like a letter.
- Finally, sprinkle some flour on the dough and gently pat it down to up ¾ inch (2cm) thickness.
- Use a floured 2 1/2 inch (6 cm) round cookie cutter to cut discs from the dough. Don't twist the cutter, use a straight up and straight down motion. Reshape and cut leftover dough.
- Place the biscuits, 1 inch apart, on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with beaten egg and sprinkle with some bagel seasoning.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Serve biscuits while still a bit warm.