This Peach Cake with Meringue Topping is one of the best summer desserts with a perfect crunchy meringue topping. You can replace peaches with seasonal fruits like apples, pears, cherries, plums or apricots.
Peach Cake with Meringue Topping
- 110 g butter
- 12 tbsp sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- 1 lemon finely grated zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 12 tbsp flour
- 5,6 medium peaches , peeled and sliced
- 4 egg whites
- 10 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Butter 10-inch(26 cm) springform pan(with a removable base).
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until well mixed. Beat in the egg yolks, sour cream, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Stir in dry ingredients, flour and baking powder.
- Pour the butter mixture into the prepared pan. Sprinkle a little flour over the peach slices and arrange them on the top of butter mixture. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile whip the egg whites until foamy with a mixer. Gradually add the sugar whipping the whole time until it holds very stiff peaks.
- Remove the pan from the oven and add egg whites on top of the cake and bake for another 20 minutes until golden brown. Run a sharp knife completely around the inside edge of the pan. Let cool at room temperature before serving.