This peach galette was probably the best dessert I served recently. I love the rustic look of the galette and the fresh yellow peaches along the flaky crust were amazingly delicious. Not only it looks good and tastes heavenly it is also very easy to make, you don’t need a tart pan, just roll the dough and add the fresh fruits tossed with butter, sugar and corn starch.
You can make this dessert using any other fruits like apples, plums, apricots and add walnuts or almonds and spices like cinnamon or vanilla.
This peach galette will always remain in my memory as this is the first recipe I chose for my first cooking video. We are going to make many others too so I hope you enjoy our first video.
- 1 ¼ cup (160g) flour
- 1 stick (110g) cold unsalted butter , cut into small (1/2-inch) cubes
- 1 ½ tsp (7g) sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 4 to 6 tbsp (60-90ml) ice water
- 2 or 3 yellow peaches
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30g) butter , melted
- 1 ½ tsp (6g) cornstarch
- sugar , for garnish
- Prepare the crust. Sift the flour and mix flour with salt and sugar. Incorporate butter to the flour, using a pastry blender, a fork or a pastry processor, until crumbs are formed. Slowly add the water and stir until the water is incorporated. Wrap it with plastic, knead slowly to form a disc and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Slice the peaches and place them in a bowl. Mix sugar with cornstarch and add over the peach slices. Add butter and toss gently to coat.
- Using the wrap plastic at the base, roll the dough to about a 13 inch diameter. Lift up the rolled dough and place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Arrange the peach slices in overlapping circles starting one and a half inch from the edge. Fold the edges of the dough over the filling and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for about 40 45 minutes, remove from the oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes. Cut and serve with vanilla ice cream.