Crazy Cake with Chocolate Ganache
Watch the video for this recipe:
I have discovered this crazy chocolate cake only recently and I must say I fall in love with it immediately. It is somehow very similar to the recipe used in the Chocolate Rose Cake but it is an eggless version. I was required an eggless recipe for quite a long time so here it is. One of the most delicious cakes, moist and chocolaty, full of flavor and almost melting in your mouth.
It is so quick to prepare, no eggs, butter or milk are used and you don’t even need to grease the pan. All ingredients are mixed directly in the pan simply using a whisk. That easy, but nobody will know after the way it looks and taste.
I’ve made a ganache for the top just to make it more fancy and attractive, but feel free to use any other frosting or topping idea. You can also serve it warm with some ice cream on top.
Definitely a last minute cake you can prepare when guests have just arrived. Everybody will love it and ask for the recipe. Enjoy!
Recipe slightly adapted after Sweet Little Bluebird
- Makes about 8-10 servings
- 1 1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (6g) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 5 tbsp (70g) canola oil
- 1 tbsp (15ml) vinegar
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240ml) hot water
- 7 oz (200g) semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup (120g) whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- In an 8 inch (20cm) springform pan add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add the oil, vinegar, vanilla and hot water and whisk again until completely combined.
- Use a spatula to spread evenly and bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let it cool slightly and remove the sides of the pan.
- Prepare the chocolate ganache. Heat the cream in a small sauce pan, until almost boiling to the edges. Remove from heat and add chopped chocolate. Let sit 1 minute and then stir until smooth.
- Spread the ganache on top of the cake leaving 1 inch (2.5cm) border at edge.
- Use a spoon to create a flower shape.
- Let the ganache set a bit at room temperature before serving.