- Vegetable Egg Rolls - Fried or Baked
- Chocolate Terrine with Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies with Chocolate Lace Cups
- Basque Burnt Cheesecake
- Chocolate Mocha Fault Line Cake with Chocolate Sail
- Crispy Onion Rings
- Croque en Bouche or Croquembouche
- Spinach and Shiitake Mushroom Stuffing
Layered Mushroom & Cabbage Casserole
Layered Mushroom & Cabbage Casserole is a dish I make pretty often for my family. It is a delicious and healthy way to cook with cabbage. You can replace mushrooms with grounded meat if you like it better this way.
The grate taste of stone-ground cornmeal in combination with mushrooms and dill make it one unforgettable meal. It is the same taste as for stuffed cabbage rolls but easier and faster to assemble.
- Makes about 6 servings
- 1 small green cabbage
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5-6 medium mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 big onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Hungarian paprika
- 1 bunch fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, puree
- 2 cups water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put stone-ground yellow cornmeal in cold water for 3-4 hours and drain well before using.
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- In a frying pan heat oil over medium high heat. Cook onion for about 5 minutes, until soft. Add mushrooms and cook until any water has evaporated. Stir in paprika, rice and stone-ground cornmeal, fresh dill, salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Split the mushroom mixture in 2.
- Cut the cabbage into quarters, remove the white hard core and cut each quarter using a mandolin or a sharp knife. Sprinkle with salt and split in 3.
- Assemble the layers in a 10 inch ceramic baking dish. One layer of cabbage, one of mushroom mixture, cabbage, mushroom mixture and finish with cabbage layer. Mix the tomatoes with water an pour all over the surface of the cabbage.
- Cover with aluminum foil or a lid and bake for about 1 hour. For the last 5 minutes remove the lid and use the grill function.
- Serve with sour cream and freshly baked bread.