This Coffee Cake with Meringue Topping is a delicious mouthwatering dessert that reminds me of childhood. My mother used to make it all the time during the holidays and I still find it quite exquisite.
The cake consists of two buttery cookie layers, filled with a chocolatey filling flavored with coffee, apricot jam and walnuts and topped with meringue.
The chocolatey filling of the cake is really interesting to prepare, as it is prepared by turning into crumbs a third cookie layer that is then mixed with butter and all the other ingredients. It is so good that you can hardly stop from keep eating from it.
After assembling, this Coffee Cake with Meringue Topping can not be served right away, as it needs some time for the cookie layers to soften. This cake worth all the effort and waiting time and I really hope you will give it a try as I am sure it will be a crowd pleaser.
Chocolate Mocha Hurricane Swiss Roll
Coffee Cake with Meringue Topping
Cake Layers - 3 layers
- 150 g butter
- 2 tbsp lard
- 7 tbsp sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 500 g flour
- One cake layer , crushed
- 150 ml milk
- 30 ml vanilla coffee
- 100 g butter
- 1 tbsp dark cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp ground walnuts
- 4 tbsp apricot jam
- 3 egg whites
- 10 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Prepare the cookie cake layers. In a large bowl, cream together butter, lard and sugar until well mixed. Beat in the egg yolks and sour cream. Stir dry ingredients together: flour and baking powder. Gradually add into butter mixture. Split the dough in 3 pieces. Roll each piece on the back of a baking pan (12 inch x 10 inch) and bake for 10 minutes. I used smaller round pans but is easier with a rectangular pan.
- Prepare the filling. Crush one cake layer and moist with milk and coffee. Add butter, walnuts, cocoa powder apricot jam and sugar and stir until well combined.
- Assemble the cake, the 2 cake layers left and the filling between.
- Whip egg whites until foamy with a mixer. Continue whipping over bain-marie. Gradually add the sugar whipping the whole time until it holds very stiff peaks. Remove from heat and layer it over the cake. Sprinkle chocolate on top and for a more unique flavor sprinkle ground coffee.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @homecookingadventure on Instagram and hashtag it #homecookingadventure.
This cake looks gorgeous with all the different layers!
It definitely looks mouthwatering! I love the combination of coffee and apricot jam 🙂
Oh, my! I couldn’t resist a coffee cake that looks like pie…so yummy!
I’m definitely intrigued by the apricot jam in this! Can’t wait to try it =)
I always admire people who have the patience to make layered dessert recipes. Yours looks lovely!
This is a pretty dessert. Have never seen lard in a sseet recipe. Very interesting.
This is amazing! It looks like a cappuccino cake, with the ‘froth’ and chocolate sprinkles on top!