No-Knead Cheese Bread
Watch the video for this recipe:
This No-knead Cheese Bread is another great bread recipe I want to share with you. A perfect crusty bread, with an elastic and chewy crumb texture, packed with cheese aroma and a hint of garlic, it is simply an amazing way to welcome the cold season.
The smell of bread and cheese while baking makes this bread even more tempting and irresistible.
This recipe doesn’t require kneading the dough which makes it very easy to prepare. It takes time though, so you need to start preparing the dough a day before. All you have to do is make sure to mix well all the ingredients and let it rise overnight for about 16-18 hours. A very small amount of yeast is used in this case and it results in a very sticky dough. It is essential to bake it in a cast iron pot to get an amazing crispy golden brown crust.
I guess there is no need to say that this bread is perfect for sandwiches, soups, stews and any other meals. Try it out, it is amazing.
Recipe slightly adapted after The Tough Cookie
- 4 cups (500g) all purpose flour/bread flour
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2g) garlic powder
- 1 cup (100g) cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) water
- 3g fresh yeast (or 1/4 tsp active dry yeast)
- flour for dusting
- corn flour for dusting
- Extra cheese for the top, optional
- In a large bowl mix flour with salt, garlic powder and grated cheese.
- Dissolve the fresh yeast in ¼ cup (60ml) water and add to the flour mixture. Add the rest of 1 ¼ cup (300ml) water and mix just until combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let it rest for 16-18 hours at room temperature.
- On a floured surface shape the dough into a ball using a dough scraper as the dough is really sticky to the touch. Sprinkle flour and cornmeal over a clean towel, add the dough and cover. Let the dough rise for another 2 hours.
- Turn the oven to 470F (240C) and add a 9 inch (23cm) round cast iron pot inside without the lid. Leave it in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the cast iron pot from the oven, turn the dough into the pan, add some grated cheese on top if desired and put the lid on. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 470F (240C) with the lid on to create steam.
- Remove the lid and bake for another 20 minutes at 440F (230C) to let the bread get some crispy golden brown crust.
- Let it cool completely before cutting the bread.