Ever since I’ve discovered ruby chocolate I’ve wanted to share with you a dessert that puts its’ color and flavor in value, so I am glad to share with you this amazing Ruby Chocolate Strawberry Mousse Cake.
The new Ruby Chocolate from Callebaut has a berry taste and a beautiful color which is not due to food colorings but to ruby cocoa beans. It is considered the 4th chocolate next to dark, milk and white. I absolutely love it and will definitely use it more and more.
Ruby Chocolate makes a great pair with strawberries with which I’ve associated it in this dessert. Ruby Chocolate Strawberry Mousse Cake is a delicate dessert, with an almond sponge cake at the bottom, followed by a ruby chocolate and almonds crunch and topped with a smooth strawberry mousse. Decorated with ruby chocolate decoration for an elegant look that makes it perfect for any occasion. Hope you’ll try it out, enjoy!
Ruby Chocolate Strawberry Mousse Cake
Almond Sponge Cake
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 2/3 cup (70g) ground almonds
- 1 tbsp (10g) flour
- 1/2 tsp (3g) almond extract
- 1 tbsp (14g) butter , melted
Ruby Chocolate Almond Crunch
- 2.5 oz (70g) cookie crumbs ( about 5 digestive cookies)
- 1/2 cup (50g) almonds , chopped
- 3.5 oz (100g) ruby chocolate
- 2 tbsp (30g) whipping cream
- 1 pound (450g) fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15ml) lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp+1 tsp (8g) gelatin powder
- 3 tbsp (45g) cold water
- 1 ½ cup (360g) whipping cream (35% fat) , chilled
Ruby Chocolate Decoration
- 2 oz (60g) ruby chocolate
- (20g) ruby chocolate , for tempering
- Prepare almond cake. Preheat oven to 325F (160C). Grease a 8 inch (20cm) pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl add eggs, sugar and salt. Mix to combine. Mix for about 10 minutes until thick and tripled in volume. Add almond extract and mix to combine.
- Gradually fold in ground almonds, flour and in the end incorporate melted butter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 20-25 minutes until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let it cool in the pan over a cooling rack.
- Prepare ruby chocolate almond crunch.
- In a medium bowl combine cookie crumbs with chopped almonds. Melt ruby chocolate over bain-marie. Add cream, add to cookie mixture and stir to combine.
- Cut the sponge into a 7 inch (18cm) disk using a cake ring. Place the ring around the sponge. Spread the crunch on top of the sponge and freeze until you prepare strawberry mousse.
- Prepare strawberry mousse. First prepare strawberry sauce so it has time to cool before preparing the mousse. Place strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan and place over medium heat, bring to a boil and cook for 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and sieve to remove seeds. Set aside while you prepare the gelatin.
- Dissolve gelatin in cold water and let it swell for about 5 to 10 minutes. Add the gelatine over the warm strawberry sauce and stir to dissolve. Let the strawberry mixture cool at room temperature.
- In a large bowl whip cream until stiff peaks form. Add strawberry mixture and mix to combine.
- Assemble the cake. Place the frozen sponge crunch into the center of a serving platter. Place a 8 inch (20cm) ring on top of it and line with acetate sheet for easier removal.
- Pipe the mousse on sides and top. Smooth the top using an offset spatula.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Prepare ruby chocolate decoration. Melt 2 oz (60g) ruby chocolate over bain-marie. Remove from heat and add 2 tbsp (20g) ruby chocolate for tempering. Stir until melted.
- Spread chocolate evenly into about 9 x 6 inch (23x15cm) rectangle on a parchment paper. Let it set slightly to room temperature until no longer sticks to finger or if in a hurry refrigerate for few minutes.
- Cut into squares or rectangles and refrigerate to set completely.
- Decorate cake with fresh strawberries and ruby chocolate decoration.