These Sesame and Cheese pretzels are one of my favorites as my mother used to make them pretty often, especially during the holidays. They are cheesy and flaky, almost melting in your mouth and totally irresistible.
I like them so much that I had to share with you the recipe for these mouth watering sesame and cheese pretzels. Once you start eating you can hardly stop so I really believe they worth all the time invested. Somehow they are even better after a couple of days, that is why these pretzels are the perfect appetizer or snack that can be made a couple of days in advance for parties, holidays or for family gatherings. I also must say that kids really enjoy them.
Give it a try, you won’t regret that you did.
Sesame and Cheese Pretzels
- 1/2 cup (100g) butter
- 1 tbsp lard optional
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp (50ml) oil
- 3 tbsp (50ml) milk
- 25 g fresh yeast (2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast)
- 1/2 cup (50g) cheese, grated
- 3 cups (375g) flour
- 1 egg
- sesame seeds
- In a large bowl mix butter with lard, egg and oil. Dissolve yeast in milk and add to butter mixture. Add flour, salt and cheese and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour, to let the yeast develop.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
- Split the dough in 2 3 pieces, roll out each piece on a floured surface to a rectangular of 1/4" thick and cut pretzels using a pretzel cutter. Place the pretzels onto a baking tray. (you will need 2 baking trays). Add the left-over dough to the other pieces and repeat this step until all dough is done.
- Beat egg and brush over pretzels. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden-brown.