Here is an healthy and creamy spicy pumpkin soup, full of flavor and very easy to make, especially if you prepare the fresh roasted pumpkin puree in advance.
The combination between the sweet pumpkin and spicy chili is just great. This soup can be a good idea for cold days as it is very comforting. If you have the possibility you can serve this soup in baked mini pumpkin bowls, for an impressive presentation.
Spicy Pumpkin Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion , minced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 medium carrot , chopped
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 ¼ cup fresh roasted pumpkin puree
- 3 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1 small red chili pepper
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Creme fraiche
- Bread croutons
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Lemon juice
- Prepare the pumpkin bowls. Cut off the top and use a spoon to scoop out all the seeds. Sprinkle salt inside the pumpkins and place with flesh down on a baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C). Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until tender, not too tender to still keep their shape as bowls.
- Heat oil in a medium stock pot over medium-high heat, and cook onion for about 5 minutes until soft. Add carrot and garlic and saute for another 3-5 minutes. Stir in paprika.
- Add pumpkin puree, vegetable stock, chili pepper and ginger and bring to boil. Reduce to low, cover and simmer for about 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly and then using a vertical blender or a food processor puree the soup. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour the hot soup into small pumpkin bowls or regular bowls and garnish with creme fraiche. Serve with bread croutons or toasted pumpkin seeds and lemon juice.